First time with Pyrocat HD

Barney

Popular Poster
Registered User
Joined
Apr 3, 2025
Messages
95
Crown Graphic 4x5, 135mm Optar
HP 5+ at box developed in homemade Pyrocat HD, 1+1 for 14 minutes @ 20, Regular Ilford agitation.



Naturally formed limestone rock with fissures and Hawthorn tree bent by the wind until sheltered behind the rock.


img083.jpg
 
A huge difference to the 510 negatives/scans, full of detail. Personally I'd increase the contrast very slightly.

A major step change.

Ian
 
Yes Ian your right and its thanks to your suggestion and recommendation that I adopted it

I deliberately went to the low contrast end of the spectrum and it worked as anticipated, my intention is to up the time to 15 and then 16 until I get the right contrast, for me, with HP5+, although I did anticipate more adjacency effects.

I miss the 510 though, in using only one 100ml bottle I gained the confidence to increase temperature and reduce time, increase/reduce the development time for zone manipulation, I found it very easy to manipulate and, most importantly, consistent.

I have bought some Pyrogallol just in case I didn't find the Pyrocat HD as "adjustable".

But after the first test run, I am impressed and now sure that I will stick with it a while and get the hang of it eventually.
 
At Ian's recommendation I recently tried 4 frames in Pyrocat HD: The pre-mixed version by Bellini. I have to admit that the results are encouraging. As a long time user of Perceptol, the pyro is certainly easier to mix and the long shelf life a bonus.

I can't say for sure that I can see a vast improvement over Perceptol and the speed loss is about the same but I'm going to persevere for a while and learn how I can get the most out of it. Next time I'll try semi-stand which I've used with success in the past using 510 pyro.

Below an example: Gandolfi Variant 1, Sinaron 180mm, FP4+, GAN_V1-3.jpgthe "victim", my grand-daughter Amelie
 
At Ian's recommendation I recently tried 4 frames in Pyrocat HD: The pre-mixed version by Bellini. I have to admit that the results are encouraging. As a long time user of Perceptol, the pyro is certainly easier to mix and the long shelf life a bonus.

I can't say for sure that I can see a vast improvement over Perceptol and the speed loss is about the same but I'm going to persevere for a while and learn how I can get the most out of it. Next time I'll try semi-stand which I've used with success in the past using 510 pyro.

Below an example: Gandolfi Variant 1, Sinaron 180mm, FP4+, View attachment 6570the "victim", my grand-daughter Amelie
I'm wondering what you used to process this film? I've used 510 Pyro and am considering this Bellini chemistry next, especially as it looks as if it would be extremely easy and economical to use in a Paterson Orbital. Thanks!
 
Back
Top