Abandoned

Carl Hall

Popular Poster
I went for a walk near Crewkerne in Somerset and found an old farm building which had been abandoned and was basically falling apart.

Arca Swiss Basic B with 150mm lens. Fuji Pro 160 NS developed in a Tetenal C41 kit. No camera movements. I had to shoot this almost wide open as it was quite windy and I didn't want to risk using blurring the leaves with a slower shutter speed. I really like the green colours on the wall below the broken window, but in hindsight I should have made more effort to line the camera up square with the wall, as the RHS is out of focus a bit.

Abandoned
by Carl Hall, on Flickr

How do you find developing in the Tetenal C41 kit compared to developing standard black and white films

How do you find developing in the Tetenal C41 kit compared to developing standard black and white films

It's a piece of cake :) It can be difficult to get the temperature to stay constant but once I got that sorted it was fairly easy. No need to worry about times like B&W, just a standard 3:15 for everything. I would say that if you can get the bath temperature to be constant then it's just as easy, if not easier, than B&W.

Did you come up with a intuitive solution for this

Nope! I literally just filled the sink up with warm water and added hot water from the kettle until it was spot on 38 degrees. Then I sat the chemicals in the sink for ten minutes or so to warm up, adding a splash of hot water every few minutes to keep the temperature right. It's not ideal but it works, and as the saying goes "if it's stupid but it works then it's not stupid" :D

One area of colour film dev and print that really can get you is colour balance, it drove me mad sometimes, even with a colour enlarger with auto colour balance it still not easy to get right, I also think one needs something like a jobo processer to make life a little easier, difficult to maintain a consistent high temp in a sink

One area of colour film dev and print that really can get you is colour balance, it drove me mad sometimes, even with a colour enlarger with auto colour balance it still not easy to get right, I also think one needs something like a jobo processer to make life a little easier, difficult to maintain a consistent high temp in a sink

I've never printed any colour film photos (not traditionally, at least), but I understand it can be quite a pain to get the colour balance right. Luckily when scanning it's quite an easy thing to sort out, even correcting for any colour shifts from dodgy developing temperatures. I'd love to do some proper colour prints one day though!

This discussion really encourages me to look at C41 development and then to scan. Any feel how expensive the chemist are and what kind of shelf life? A couple years back I bought a jobo, I don't really like it for b&w but it would make the temp control problem go away.

BTW, very nice image Carl.

This discussion really encourages me to look at C41 development and then to scan. Any feel how expensive the chemist are and what kind of shelf life? A couple years back I bought a jobo, I don't really like it for b&w but it would make the temp control problem go away.

BTW, very nice image Carl.

The chemicals aren't expensive no. I buy my kits from Firstcall Photographic in Taunton, and they're £37 for 2.5 litres. My method of using a Paterson tank with a MOD 54 needs one litre, so£14.80 worth of chemicals.

The shelf life of the mixed chemicals is around 6 weeks or so I believe. So say for arguments sake you develop ten sheets within a six week period, your cost per sheet is only £1.48. When you consider that Peak is one of the cheaper labs in the UK and they're £3 per sheet (plus postage), you'd end up saving quite a bit over a year.

Thanks for the feedback, I've got a wet colloidion project right now but I think I'll put developing color on my list.

I use a pair of Nova water heaters(bit like an Aquarium heater but higher temp range) to keep the water bath up to temp. A cheap plastic storage box with some holes in the bottom to allow the elements through and shelf above to protect them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Pair-...448800?hash=item4ae9c2f860:g:9H0AAOSwqu9VTMlF

Cheers

Diz

Thanks Diz. I have something similar (this one from Firstcall) and I can't get it to heat up enough to be useful. Speaking to their tech support people it looks like the tank needs to be insulated and closed to even get close enough to the right temperature. Gave up with the idea pretty quickly! The ones you've linked to look interesting though, and maybe they work a bit better. Be something to think about if I ever revisit the idea

Back