VDB

KenS

Popular Poster
door-knobVDB.jpg

I decided it was time to get back into the darkroom and 'heat up' the home-built UV light box and get it back to work..... They (like me) have the tendency to get 'somewhat lazy' without regular exercise. This is a 'straight' VDB print from the original 4x5 negative that I had given some thought of scanning and printing out onto Pictorico for an 8x10 inch 'digital' negative in the near future. The VDB print tends to provide somewhat less 'accutance' due to the less then 'smooth' surface texture of a water-colour paper

The 'double' VDB emulsion was applied using my 5 inch glass 'puddle-pusher rather than a 2 inch Hake brush. Exposure was for 26 minutes under my UV light tubes.. and processed as is 'normal' for VDB emulsions.

Ken

The Van Dyke Brown process (VDB) is another one that I have never used Ken and I haven't seen an actual print for years so it's nice to see this one. The tone certainly suits the subject and I like it a lot.

Grinbin portal.jpg

I am not quite sure if this VDB image should be posted to my 'portals' series or.. to the 'alternative print' process section but it 'does show nicely' when one takes a 'liking' to images printed onto materials other than 'commercial' gelatin-silver-paper. It 'is' a lot slower and takes little more 'time and effort' as well as being somewhat more 'challenging, but a lot more 'satisfying when matted, framed, and hung on the wall. I had 'arrived' on the farmer's property just as he was cleaning out the 'remains' of last year's harvest.' and was more than co-operative in getting the dogs to 'stay back' and lie down rather than snuffling to see if there was 'a something worth eating' from the bottom of my camera bag.

Ken

Reactions: Diz
The Van Dyke Brown process (VDB) is another one that I have never used Ken and I haven't seen an actual print for years so it's nice to see this one. The tone certainly suits the subject and I like it a lot.

Keith
There is the best of all 'alt photo process' books in my darkroom 'shelf' that I have recommended to a fair number of those who have always felt the 'need' to give them a 'GOOD' try.
May I recommend "The Book of Alternative Photographic Processes by Christopher James,
IBSN #13:978-1-4180-7372-5.

REALLY easy to read although Somewhat 'expensive'... but ALL you need to know about the "How-To" will be found between the covers of this book.

Ken

Back