TMY 400 In XTOL

Ian-Barber

Admin
Ok, I know its a 5x4 forum but I want to reach out to the experts :)
I am nearly ready to develop some Kodak TMY 400 roll film which I have used at ISO 200 not through EI testing but just that I normally rate my films at 1/2 box speed to give that little push in the shadows.

I want to use XTOL (replenished) rather than the HC110 I normally use.

According the XTOL data sheet for ISO 200 it recommends 7 mins 25 seconds @ 20°C in Large Tanks. Would I be correct in thinking that the same time can also be used for 1 litre bottles rather than large tanks?

Screen Shot 2018-07-03 at 23.20.20.jpg

In a large tank the sheet film is in individual steel holders, 35,, and 120 SS reels are in a cage, these get agitated by hand usually every minute, this is roughly equivalent to inversion agitation in Paterson/Jobo and other small tanks.

So yes 7½ mins would be a good starting point. I always used Tmax 400 in replenished Xtol and the results were superb, I was using the older version of the film and time differed slightly.

Ian

The MDC is not always reliable, it's very inconsistent as there's no indication of agitation, whether inversion or continuous - which has a significant impact. There's no allowance for replenishment. It's always best to stick to manufacturers times and personal testing.

Ian

Ian,
Yes, I agree, not wholly reliable, but I've found it a good starting point. Not all manufacturers list all possibilities so it's handy for ANotherfilm-400 developed in Miracule-X. Some of the data may be interpolated and some gathered from third parties.
I've always assumed that that the MDC assumes standard inversion agitation. From memory, I think some of the notes in the final column refer to continuous agitation, but my memory may be faulty. And, as you say, no replenishment advice, but they may reasonably believe that replenisher users will have done their own testing. Personal testing is the key and the instructions on the box are always an excellent starting point.
I mentioned it here in case anyone had not encountered it, warts and all.

So yes 7½ mins would be a good starting point. I always used Tmax 400 in replenished Xtol and the results were superb, I was using the older version of the film and time differed slightly.

The information I posted above was from the XTOL data sheet but it was dated 1998. When was the new film versions introduced.

Attachments

• Xtol - original data sheet 4-98.pdf
    92.9 KB · Views: 0
The MDC is not always reliable, it's very inconsistent as there's no indication of agitation, whether inversion or continuous - which has a significant impact. There's no allowance for replenishment. It's always best to stick to manufacturers times and personal testing.

If using the MDC, would you just not use the Stock times for replenished?

If using the MDC, would you just not use the Stock times for replenished?

Not quite replenished times are a touch longer. The datashhet from 1998 is well before the newer version of Tmax but I did check the Tmax 400 datasheet and would still go for that 7½ minute tine as you're replenishing.

Ian

Back