LF "Lens" weekend April 2024

Ian Grant

Very Active Poster
Talking to Wendy, and others, I'm proposing a couple of days here in North Worcestershire, playing primarily with Antique LF lenses, the 27th & 28th of April. The use of different shutters will be discussed and used. But newer lenses as well. As some know I have a largish darkroom, so we can set up for paper negative processing, or even paper reversal processing

In part it's a celebration for the oldest lens I own, that I can I can authenticate, which is 160 this year :D

Ian

Do you actually mean next year Ian? Seems a long way off if that is correct...

I'd certainly be interested, despite the 4 hour drive. None of my lenses are as old as 160 years, but I think I might have a couple over 100 (my VPK is the only one I'm sure off & that's certainly not LF)

There's a Premier Inn, or Travelodge within 20 mins walk, 5 mins drive. Or there's free camping on my lawns :D

Ian

I've just come across our smaller tents (the 9 man tent wouldn't be suitable, the 2 or 3 man options are plenty big enough, even though I'm bigger than average), so a spot on the lawn would be fine for me. :)

Can I suggest you change the year in the thread title, seeing 2025 might stop people looking at the thread.

Sounds good to me. Not sure I can make both days but one should be fine.

I've just come across our smaller tents (the 9 man tent wouldn't be suitable, the 2 or 3 man options are plenty big enough, even though I'm bigger than average), so a spot on the lawn would be fine for me. :)

Can I suggest you change the year in the thread title, seeing 2025 might stop people looking at the thread.

Hadn't spotted the typo, thanks.

Ian

Thanks Ian, I'm still in.
My flash travel case for my monorails is nearing completion, so should be ready in time. :)
Clearing the back seat of the car, so I can fit it in will be more of a challenge though.

Goodness, I had not even begun the 'which camera' question - too excited thinking about reversal processing on paper.
As it's a birthday party for a lens I should bring my most interesting contestant - which is coming up on a 100 celebration next year or 2026.
Time to book a hotel/guest house/whatever too . . .

Goodness, I had not even begun the 'which camera' question - too excited thinking about reversal processing on paper.
As it's a birthday party for a lens I should bring my most interesting contestant - which is coming up on a 100 celebration next year or 2026.
Time to book a hotel/guest house/whatever too . . .
For me the which camera isn't too much of a question (I'll bring two, giving maximum flexibility)
LF case small by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

Choice of lenses will be more of an issue. I think those with shutters wouldn't fit the theme.
The stupidly fast options (from projectors) & petzval style lens are probably the best, but I have quite a few more barrel mount lenses that could be appropriate

Last edited:
Hmm, just found out that, while feverish with covid, I bought another Ensign Midget :rolleyes:. I remember why I did it (I need a film spool as mine are irretrievably lost) just can't remember my excuse for another camera.
The antithesis of 'Large Format' but might bring it along as the weekend's smallest lens, with the exception of our phones. (Ian probably has a Coronet Midget stashed somewhere which I remember has an even tinier lens)

Last edited:
I can see why you fancied the midget, all the examples on wikipedia are lovely looking beasts & it's even smaller than my Pentax Auto 110!

I've finally got suitably stocked up on film adding 50 sheets of Formapan 200 to my more limited Harman Direct positive & Delta 100 stock.
My recent processing has all been using a stand variant of Caffenol which is probably not ideal. @Ian Grant can you advise which darkroom chemicals I should bring hope fully there's still time to get them delivered (& also PM me your address). I'll have a look through the dry chemicals likely to be cleared out from the stores at work to see if there's anything relevant I can bring along too. :)

It seems my booking for a heatwave has been messed up, the forecast on the radio was for it to start around the 29th - typical! I guess I might be better of finding a B&B

Last edited:
Any materials you want to use, film, paper etc. I'll mix up some concentrated ID-62 (PQ Universal), and have ID-3 (D165) a soft working developer on the shelf. Maybe someone can donate some fixer. . . .

There are developing tanks for 1/4 plate, 9x12, a few for 5x4, and a Paterson Orbital. Of course tanks for 35mm/120. An Ilford 906 safelight for Ilford Direct Positive paper.

I have adapters to allow Linhof/Wista style lens boards on my 10x8 Agfa Ansco, plus other lenses as well.

I figured we just get some baguettes etc for a help yourself lunch.

Ian

Any materials you want to use, film, paper etc. I'll mix up some concentrated ID-62 (PQ Universal), and have ID-3 (D165) a soft working developer on the shelf. Maybe someone can donate some fixer. . . .

There are developing tanks for 1/4 plate, 9x12, a few for 5x4, and a Paterson Orbital. Of course tanks for 35mm/120. An Ilford 906 safelight for Ilford Direct Positive paper.

I have adapters to allow Linhof/Wista style lens boards on my 10x8 Agfa Ansco, plus other lenses as well.

I figured we just get some baguettes etc for a help yourself lunch.

Ian
I should be able to bring fixer (I think I have some ready made up) & should be able to bring some Acetic acid too (we have several litres of the Glacial stuff around) for stop bath (works out 14ml glacial acid to 1 litre water)

I have a few adapters for smaller lens boards onto my Toyo monorails (158mm sq boards) including some DIY versions that allow quite a wide range of boards to be tried out.

I gather there are multiple sizes of lens boards used on different models of 10x8 Agfa Ansco cameras - I've seen 6x6", 7.5x7.5" & 9x9" all mentioned when I googled. I'm not sure if my DIY boards would adapt quickly to any of them - but hopefully I can manage a quick hold in place adapter to look at the image circle of my process lenses (I'll pack a couple of bits of corrugated plastic)

Last edited:
My Agfa Ansco cameras take 7.5" square boards, which are quite thick. I have a 12"x10" camera and that takes 6¼" square lens boards, so standardised on these, that way I can also use my larger lenses on that camera as well.

Ian

Back