A worrying Ebay trend

Ian Grant

Very Active Poster
Doing my usual weekly Ebay trawl I spotted a Compur shutter, a a bit expensive, I had a look at the sellers other items he has the 150mm f4,7 Xenar lens cells available separately, and also the original Schneider lens caps.

It's not a one off he's selling enlarger lenses and their keeper (storage box) separately as well.

Ian

Yes, I've noticed cells being sold separately but I had thought they were orphans. As you say, a very worrying trend.
It seems like a perfect plan to get five dissatisfied buyers, one for each item, or six if the retaining ring is separated.
(If I've found the same seller, yes, the rings are separate. So are enlarging lens caps. He's even dismantled a Rodagon, and included a picture of the whole lens for information!)
It looks like a very poor commercial strategy.

Another worrisome trend I'm seeing is unrealistic prices for items that should be much cheaper. Ya, I know, list it high and if some fool wants to buy it, so be it...more money in your pocket. Here's an example, I've been watching a Schneider 165mm Angulon for a couple of months now and it still hasn't sold. The seller originally listed it for $750 which is totally ridiculous! After sitting a month, he lowered the price to $450 which is still higher than I think it should be. After sitting another month, he re-listed it at $450 and, after a week or so, raised it to $525! Huh? If it sat unsold for over a month at $450, what makes you think it will sell at $525?

The lens appears to be in nice shape and it does reveal a serial number just under 10 mil, but IMO it should be priced around $300, at most. Hey, my hats off to the seller if someone comes along and pays a couple hundred more than it's worth, but it ain't gonna be me! ;)

The seller I was thinking of had Rodagons but mostly missing front elements, there was a spell after Rodenstock moved from Balsam cement to a newer optical cement where their LF lenses were quite prone to separation, I have (had) a Sironar and a couple of Rodagons with separation. By the Sironar N, Grandagon N etc Rodenstock had overcome this problem.

Alan, there's a small number of UK based Ebay sellers who collectively list LF items at way over market prices from reputable dealers (who give a 3 month warranty), I'm talking about 2 - 3 times normal prices - 90mm f6.8 Angulons are a good example. They also list a lot of items.

There's a fault in the Ebay listing of that165mm Angulon it shows as S$526.99 in a search but US$399.99 (with S$526.99 below) when you view the item.

Ian

Last edited:
Back