Yet another "recommend me" thread.

soupdragon

Popular Poster
I own a Toyo 45A camera.
I could do with a long focal length lens, the longest possible without having to modify the camera. I don't know how to tell what the max focal length is for it.
So what's the best I can get for my rig that I'm likely to be able to buy in the UK?

I'd favour newer lenses with multi coatings.

Last edited:
I own a Toyo 45A camera.
I could do with a long focal length lens, the longest possible without having to modify the camera. I don't know how to tell what the max focal length is for it.
So what's the best I can get for my rig that I'm likely to be able to buy in the UK?

I'd favour near lenses with multi coatings.
I've read that the maximum bellows draw for the Toyo 45A is 324mm.
This means a non-tele 300mm lens will focus at infinity, however, it will be severely limited as to how close it'll be able to focus, I'm pretty sure full length portraits will be out of the question, for example. A 210mm should be absolutely fine but it's not so long and a 240mm may also work at a push. There's also the option of using a 'top-hat', a lensboard that is extended allowing for even greater extension.

Then there's Ian's suggestion for a tele lens but some have a relatively small image circle for the focal length so be aware.

There's also the horseman tele-converter, which can convert a 150mm lens into a 300mm! Here's one at Ffordes BUT do your homework first!
https://www.ffordes.com/p/SOR-18-2001/large-format/2x-lf-teleconverter-150-300

Horseman tele-converter info pdf

Attachments

• horseman-converter.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
The MC Schneider Tele lens are the Artons, the 250mm covers 5x4 with a lot of room for movents, 190mm IC the 360mm is designed for 7x5 so even more.

I have a 240mm f5.6 Nikkor SW, the advantage is it covers 10"x8", a 300mm lens on a 5x4 camera need so much extension it turns it into a sail :D

Ian

I presume you mean W and not SW..?

Yes, my mistake, I don't use it very often, a bit like my 300mm f9 Nikkor M. But hey why use the latter when I have a really nice 12" Goerz Am Opt Dagor.

For UK availability and depending on your budget, Ffordes has 2 fujinon 300 T lenses which apparently need less than 200mm bellows draw for infinity focus.
https://www.ffordes.com/search/fujinon

The downside to the 400mm Fujinon T is they are f8, compared to the 360mm Tele Arton/Xenar which are f5.5. It is also worth rembering the shutters top speed 1/100 Compound, 1/125 Copa;l, both #3's.

I also have a 14" (420mm) f5 ex-military telephoto, almost certainly a Dallmeyer, I use this on a pre-Anniversary Speed Graphic which gives me the option of much high shutter speeds, up to 1/1000.

Ian

Schneider data sheet for the tele Arton and tele Xenar.

Attachments

• 02161(1).pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 4
the longest possible

What's your reason for using such lens?
I wouldn't describe my 360 Tele Xenar as a new lens (it comes in a Compound) and being the best choice for people being after modern and multicoated lenses. To me it ist good enough and I love it.
It also performs very well in doing portraits especially - at near distance and wide open :)
Another good reasonpoint is it's lightweight which doesn't tend to stress front standards.

What's your reason for using such lens?
In smaller formats I often want long telephoto lenses, mainly for wildlife, motorsports and other subjects not well suited to large format, but sometimes just to pick out an inaccessible item in landscape or architectural shooting. The longest practical lens for LF could certainly find uses in these later cases.

The longest I have available that will cover 5x4 is Rodenstock apo-ronar 480mm, which is only about 3x closer in than a normal lens. I don't find it hard to think of situations where that would be useful. :)

FWIW my 480mm probably needs too much extension for the D45a but focuses fine for distant subjects on my D45m (I'd need to use a second bellows/tripod to reach macro with it). Sadly mine's in barrel mount which can be a bit of a pain!

OK, I did not realise there was so much to be considered regarding the "longest lens" question.
I want the longest "practical" lens as from my own personal standpoint, I find composition easier. Yes, I'm a hobbyist.
Someone did mention a Nikon lens and I'm a big fan of those optics.
Having done the usual mundane google search, I came up with nothing in England.

Links would be appreciated if anyone can find anything.

Horseman tele-converter info pdf
Interesting I've never seen TCs for LF. I have come across some that mount in front of the lens (not the standard rear mounted type) - the final format should be fairly irrelevant for these.
The front mounted TC I got (many years ago) was totally useless digitally cropping a 6MP image gave much better results than adding the TC. But I'm told some of them are high quality. There are also wide angle/fisheye front mounting converters with a similar range in qualities, some might work OK in LF - but I wouldn't bother trying one unless you already have it lying around.
Playing around with small format rear mounted TC's for macro shows they work fine either mounted on the lens (bellows behind) or on the body (bellows in front) - results for these are different focusing extension needs to be longer with the TC on the lens.

However any adapter that simply changes the lenses focal length will create issues with bellows extension in just the same way adding a longer lens would. All TC's I've met are Afocal simply increasing the spread between parallel light rays making a 'long focus' lens but not a true 'telephoto'. - These days the two terms are often used interchangeably as most small format long lenses are telephotos.
I don't think they'd work for @soupdragon

OK, I did not realise there was so much to be considered regarding the "longest lens" question.
I want the longest "practical" lens as from my own personal standpoint, I find composition easier. Yes, I'm a hobbyist.
Someone did mention a Nikon lens and I'm a big fan of those optics.
Having done the usual mundane google search, I came up with nothing in England.

Links would be appreciated if anyone can find anything.
There is this one at wyc but again make sure you do your research.
https://wycameras.com/products/4x5-nikon-270mm-f-6-3-nikkor-t-ed-copal-1-exc

I'm not sureI'd recomment a 270mm Telephoto, I prefer a 24o plasmat.

Ian

You may want the typical telephoto look.
You may want the sharpest lens or doing things like Mr. Wolf with his meters long Sinar elements.
You may want to avoid the visible signs of air polution coming with telephotos but you could be after a damned good portrait lens.
In some cases people want to do action photography with large format and longest lenses :)
You may want to help your front standard and bellows not being stressed from too heavy or too long lenses.
You are a freak just looking for the longest lens - and so on.

Somebody's asking for a lens to me means knowing what to answer/ what to recommend, so that's why I asked for the reasons.

I want the longest "practical" lens as from my own personal standpoint, I find composition easier.

So you probably will need a long lens of less weight which in this case is my best answer :)

I own a Toyo 45A camera.

I'd favour newer lenses with multi coatings.

I wish I'd asked this very question before buying and reshuttering my 14" and 19" Artars years ago. The 22" bellows draw on my 5x4 Wisner Technical Field can easily focus the 14" and handles infinity and a bit less with the 19". HOWEVER, at 19" of extension, the camera has a huge cross sectional area, and is subject to wind action (i.e. It becomes a sail) and is therefore to unwanted motion. I more-or-less don't use it in windy settings.

In retrospect, I wish I'd investigated true teles for the longer focal lengths.

That said, the 19" may get repurposed as a 10x8 lens if I can find the right camera.

Last edited:
I've read that the maximum bellows draw for the Toyo 45A is 324mm.
This means a non-tele 300mm lens will focus at infinity, however, it will be severely limited as to how close it'll be able to focus, I'm pretty sure full length portraits will be out of the question, for example. A 210mm should be absolutely fine but it's not so long and a 240mm may also work at a push. There's also the option of using a 'top-hat', a lensboard that is extended allowing for even greater extension.

Then there's Ian's suggestion for a tele lens but some have a relatively small image circle for the focal length so be aware.

There's also the horseman tele-converter, which can convert a 150mm lens into a 300mm! Here's one at Ffordes BUT do your homework first!
https://www.ffordes.com/p/SOR-18-2001/large-format/2x-lf-teleconverter-150-300
You may need to discard one of your criteria. Ebay shows a wide variety of lenses in excellent condition from Japan. Beware the extra charges that will be heaped on your head by HMG.
Alternatively, you might consider getting another camera for your long-lens work and build an outfit specifically for that. You won’t need extensive movements or a large image circle because of the well-known “flattening” effect of long lenses.

you can extend the draw of the bellows with a top hat lens panel, I use one for my intrepid 4x5 and 300mm F9 Nikon.

Back