Where to buy 8x10 colour film

lharby

Sorry if this has come up before. I am soon going to be in a position where I want to try this out. Any recommendations? I just read an old thread that seemed to imply it was better to import 8x10 film as it can be much more affordable outside the UK.

I don't know if this is still the case though (I am collecting hyperlinks so can come back to it later).

TIA

lharby

Thank you. It is quite a bit more affordable on BH photo even with the shipping. So I might look into it.

Ian Grant

Remember that companies like B&H now also add the Import Duty and then the VAT and that's on top of the Cost plus Shipping.

Ian

Ian Grant

Yes, we posted at the same time :D

The way exchange rates went last year and earlier this year meant it was far less economic buying from the US, a year ago £1 was worth $1.27, it's now $1.37 but went to $1.42 in May.

Paying Import Duty and VAT doesn't sound so bad but the US companies also included a handling charge for collecting the Duty and VAT, and it's the compound nature of these charges that can add up to around 33-37% in charges.

Gone are the days when items from abroad would come in with no taxes, I bought quite a few lenses from the US a few years (12-15) ago and only paid txes once, now every package gets checked and taxed.

Ian

Joanna Carter

Paying Import Duty and VAT doesn't sound so bad but the US companies also included a handling charge for collecting the Duty and VAT, and it's the compound nature of these charges that can add up to around 33-37% in charges.
And now, with this Brexit malarky, we now have to account for import duty and TVA on stuff we import from the UK into France.

I ordered a USB-C hub for my computer system, listed on the company's European site at €280.

When the item was delivered via La Poste, I was asked to pay over €150 in charges! Why? Because, although I had ordered it from the EU site, it got shipped from the UK. I had no choice but to pay but got straight on to the company (a US company) and they were very good and refunded every cent.

The point is that the duty was only 6.5% and the TVA 20%, but the rest was made up of a fee for the shipper having to act as customs agent. And they have the nerve to charge TVA on the fee for collecting the TVA!

Thanks Boris :rolleyes:

Ian Grant

Some of these issues started long before Brexit. a friend and his twin brother had an online store amongst othrer things they sold Ebooks and a lot of them, even commissioning authors. The EU changed the VAT regulations which meant VAT had to be collected at the rate of the downloading Customers country and paid to that member state a near impossible task for a small business.

In terms of how it affects us as Photographer after Brexit Adox/Fotoimpex, in Berlin,has had to introduce a minimum order to the UK, some companies won't ship to the UK as it's too much hassle.

Ian

Joanna Carter

In terms of how it affects us as Photographer after Brexit Adox/Fotoimpex, in Berlin,has had to introduce a minimum order to the UK, some companies won't ship to the UK as it's too much hassle.
Yes, we are having to switch suppliers for mount board for framing. Wessex Pictures said they were quoted £800 for shipping a package that only cost £80 before Brexit.

lharby

Yeah I have noticed some EU companies just not supplying to the UK now (well I am not sure about wholesale) . My guess is that it will get worse before it can get any better.

I do have a few US friends and contacts though, so potentially it might be possible to put in a big order and then see if someone is willing to be a mule for me.