What did I just buy? A new installment.

moggi1964

Popular Poster
So I figured I would start taking a look around at developing equipment for the half plate. Some expired colour film sheets just arrived so I can use them for testing and checking for light leaks etc.

I was perusing one of my usual auction sites when I came across this Lot. I put in a low bid and lo and behold I won. Does anyone recognise the enlarger make/model? Anything else that looks familiar? It'll be a day or two before I collect it so I figured I would see what the community knows. Thanks.

Image couretsy of: easyliveauction1100173044_PREVIEW.jpg.com

Mistaken I think, more likely a Meopta Axomat 4

Ian

Well we will know for sure in a few days and I will of course update you. I was more interested in the red light and a few other bits that came with it but maybe there is a future of enlarging for me after I actually get everything up and working and making decent images.

I got the whole lot for £20 including auctioneers fees so if the light works I've probably done okay.

Here is a larger image.1100173044.jpg

I think it might be the 4a model based on online images. Not seeing a lens but with auction stuff you never know what you are going to find.

Last edited:
It is indeed the 4a and it comes with a lens which is a bonus. I'll check it works this weekend. Tonight I am finishing my GG for the half plate.

Axomat 4a
Enlarging apparatus for the enlarging from film 35 mm negatives.
Lens: Anaret 4.5/50

Condenser: asymmetrical double-convex, single-lens of 64 mm diameter

Lamp: opal 100-150 W

Enlargement: max. 11x onto the base plate

Weight: 7.5 kg

Years of production: 1980-84

You'll be able to use this kit for contact printing your half plate negs, although not for enlarging them. Fun evenings lie ahead for you! :)

You'll be able to use this kit for contact printing your half plate negs, although not for enlarging them. Fun evenings lie ahead for you! :)

I've been reading up on that. That looks fun. I'll

It doesn't have a plug and only has two wires which reminds me of stuff in the US. My electrician is coming to rewire the house so I will get his input on the best and safest way to wire it.

It also came with a box of Ilford filters but they are for over and not under so I don't believe I can use them on this enlarger. There was also a partly used bottle of Ilfosol II which is likely a shade past it's best by date ;)

The wife just looked at me when I brought it in and said "I thought you said you had no plans for a darkroom?". I said "Well I didn't but things change" to which she replied "They change quickly, it was only a week ago you said that" :D

Last edited:
Just another update: Having thought I had got all the holes in the bellows I discovered a tiny one on an edge fold. I'll take care of it tomorrow.

The ground glass is ground but will require testing to see if it is ground well enough to better the existing one. I'll get that done this week.

I got Fomapan 100 from ag-photographic.

I am going to start another thread on the subject of contact printing as that is what I'll be limited to right now but I should learn a lot from it. I am also looking at taking an in-person course on development and enlarging which again will add to my knowledge and should be fun.

Enlarger update:

I think there must be an issue internally in the wiring as despite wiring a ground in and testing the continuity, the unit will not work. It's a fresh bulb but I don't detect any voltage at the bulb socket anyway so that is an aside. I don't expect it'll be a huge job to open it up and check but not one I have time for now. I've picked up a replacement working enlarger for a very good price that will fill the role. Once I fix the Meopta I will sell it on.

I got this one and pick it up next week:

Philips PCS130 /150 Colour + B&W enlarger with the PCS 150 tri colour head and controller

Not sure I understand what all the colour dial options are yet but so long as the light works and projects through the lens then I'll get the contact prints I am aiming for.

I'm taking a developing and enlarging class this weekend in Liverpool so that will hopefully be useful going forward.

The Philips system is completely different to others colour enlargers, you should be able to find the manuals online somewhere.

Ian

Thanks Ian.

It comes with the manuals so I'll wait till I get it home and see what it says when I have the thing in front of me. So Long as I figure out how to get light out of it then that'll do for now :)

The Phillips uses RGB light instead of the more common CMY. These colours are the converse of each other, so each one can be considered as a “minus” version of its opposite.
Mr Sherman, who has been discussed here previously, uses green and blue filters for his remarkably well-controlled prints.

I would say a Meopta, used to have a Krokus it was a bit squarer if I remember rightly.

I would say a Meopta, used to have a Krokus it was a bit squarer if I remember rightly.
Jonathan, you are absolutely right it is a Meopta. Sadly I can't get it to work so a Philips has stepped in to take its place.

I have committed to make the Meopta work though :cool:

The Phillips uses RGB light instead of the more common CMY. These colours are the converse of each other, so each one can be considered as a “minus” version of its opposite.
Mr Sherman, who has been discussed here previously, uses green and blue filters for his remarkably well-controlled prints.

So much to learn. It's great, isn't it :)

moggi I am just down the road from you in Freckleton will have to meet up sometime.

moggi I am just down the road from you in Freckleton will have to meet up sometime.
I like that idea, Flack. Let's wait till Spring arrives and I come out of hibernation :)

So, an update.

Shot two exposures on film with the half plate this morning. First one will be very overexposed as I locked the shutter open by accident (the lock on the cable release) but the second was shot at 1/30 and the lovely Thornton Pickard shutter (restored by Ian) snapped off a shot.

I picked up the Philips and it is in very good condition, well looked after. I also managed to accumulate a few more darkroom items such as more trays, thermometer, focusing aid, timer (new) and a Jobo tank (new).

Now here's the fun bit, I plugged it in downstairs where I had plugged in the Meopta: nothing! I couldn't believe it. Then I had a brainstorm of an idea and I unplugged the dehumidifier that was in the right side of the dual socket and plugged the Philips in there. IT WORKS! Guess what else works?

Sometimes the bloody obvious escapes you. If you know one socket is working, don't assume the other one is. Try the one that works :rolleyes:

Back