Show Us Your Camera

Cambo Cadet 5x4 - Now named the little red kite

View attachment 4747
This looks to be a great (re)entry into the world of large format.

What is wonderful about these 5x4 cameras is that they are all able to deliver terrific results. The differences between a camera like this, and one costing multiple thousands of pounds, principally involve convenience, not quality.

I started out on a Cambo monorail back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, and it produced great images. I look forward to seeing wondrous images produced on the Little Red Kite!

Last edited:
Cambo Cadet 5x4 - Now named the little red kite

The rail is not that long, and the lens is a good distance above it. While I only used mine over one long weekend in Cornwall I was surprise how easy it was to use and carry when on quite a long trek.

Ian

I did come across someone who slipped the standards off the rail for carrying. He had a remarkably small shoulder bag with the rail tucked under the flap. Sadly I didn’t record the maker.

I posted this on the US site but it might be of interest here too:

I've been working on the idea of a 'step and repeat' camera for quite some time and finally got my act together and paid out sufficient to at least get the project rolling forward. The Arca monolith section allows the Sony EVF camera to be moved vertically and horizontally and so to sample different sections of a larger format imge projected by the lens being used. In my case the lenses I have are mostly fairly early Grubb (1860s) with some later Grubbs, Dallmeyers and TTH too. The advantage for me is that the result is straight to digital, so there is no film cost for testing these lenses and with refinement the camera should be relativle portable and might be usable in the field if the conditions allow.

Here's my second attempt - a 9 image stitch of ~150-200MPixel equivalence with a ~6x9 or 1/4 plate covered area. It was taken on a lens similar to the one used as subject matter by abvailable light and is not perfect but shows the potential.
Arca Swiss Custom.jpg
Grubb 1918 0n 1444 9 shot stitch 6 x 9 cms.jpg

Post some images of your camera(s)
Here is my “pride and joy”. I'm lucky to have a 150 and 75-mm lens and some nice backs. Including an old Polaroid 4x5, sadly no more film, though :-(

I shoot a lot of film and digital on it (PhaseOne and Hasselblad backs.)

Attachments

• 067E728F-F8AC-40D7-9D92-25054FD9A851.jpg
    067E728F-F8AC-40D7-9D92-25054FD9A851.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 9
  • tempImageStLbyn.png
    tempImageStLbyn.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
I posted this on the US site but it might be of interest here too:

I've been working on the idea of a 'step and repeat' camera for quite some time and finally got my act together and paid out sufficient to at least get the project rolling forward. The Arca monolith section allows the Sony EVF camera to be moved vertically and horizontally and so to sample different sections of a larger format imge projected by the lens being used. In my case the lenses I have are mostly fairly early Grubb (1860s) with some later Grubbs, Dallmeyers and TTH too. The advantage for me is that the result is straight to digital, so there is no film cost for testing these lenses and with refinement the camera should be relativle portable and might be usable in the field if the conditions allow.

Here's my second attempt - a 9 image stitch of ~150-200MPixel equivalence with a ~6x9 or 1/4 plate covered area. It was taken on a lens similar to the one used as subject matter by abvailable light and is not perfect but shows the potential.
That looks excellent! I have a Gigapan robotic head, which allows very precise "step and repeat" actions. It works very well. I have shot images at close to 3 Gigapixels. A pixel peeker’s dream!

Back