RH Designs Analyser pro 500 paper calibrations wanted

Nas

Any users of an Analyser Pro 500 made by RH Designs out there? I recently bought the previous version (not the current blue one) which I'm using with a De Vere 504 and Ilford 500 Multigrade head and I'm struggling with paper calibrations. The instructions that came with it don't seem to be specific to the 500 model which I'm finding confusing. Also, I'm using the new Multigrade V paper which prints very differently to the Multgrade IV paper that my Analyser Pro has been set up with. The same goes for Fomapan RC paper that I tried yesterday.

It's still very early days for me getting to grips with this equipment so any advice from other users would be greatly appreciated. Info and resources specifically for the Analyser Pro 500 seem to be scarce online.

Thanks.

AdClem

Hi Nas,

Brilliant piece of kit. I have one too, but was first converted to 'F-Stop' printing with their StopClock Pro.

Although the original designer and owner of the firm, Richard Ross, stepped back from the business (new sales are now through Second-hand Darkroom Supplies, I think: https://www.secondhanddarkroom.co.uk/ ), he, or they, maintain a separate website with a vast amount of reference material and videos. See here:
Good luck.

Nas

Hey AdClem,

Thanks for the links. I also have a StopClock Pro which came with my Ilford 500 MG head but I haven't used it because I thought the Analyser Pro 500 was more tailored to the 500 MG head with the way it worked with the metering probe and controlled contrast to get you to a good starting point for a work print in less time by using less paper.

Which do you prefer?

Unfortunately it looks like the RH Designs website is out of date (the video links on this page (https://rhdesigns.co.uk/calibration/) are all dead and so is the Beyond Monochrome website) and although the equipment is still sold by Secondhand Darkroom Supplies I have emailed them numerous times but have yet to receive a single reply so customer support is sadly lacking.

I notice there are calibration settings for many different papers on this page (https://rhdesigns.co.uk/Alternative-papers/) but there are only settings for two papers listed for the Analyser Pro 500, neither of which are for Multigrade V.

Are you using an Analyser Pro 500? Would you mind sharing your paper settings?

Thanks,
Nas

AdClem

Damn! You're right. Half of the links are dead. They weren't when I last looked (admittedly a while ago), which is why I blithely offered them. I think that the videos were done by Chris Woodhouse (of Way Beyond Monochrome fame) with whom Richard Ross collaborated. I've had a look on Wayback Machine - which has dead links to the videos too. I seem to remember that they were embedded, from something like Vimeo. It might be worth trying to contact him, rather than SDS. Alternatively, if you try asking on Photrio (APUG) Ralph Lambrecht might be able to help, as he also wrote books with Chris Woodhouse, and is still active there.

Sadly, I can't yet be of any help with the Analyser 500, because I haven't yet made the transition to it from the StopClock Pro; which I've had attached to a ZoneMaster, and hooked up to a 504 Dichromat - the filtration is obviously completely different from an Ilford head. Functionally, the StopClock/ZoneMaster is the same as an Ananlyser Pro (though very slightly clunkier) but I have hung onto it, as I have a 504 Varicon too which, as a condenser, I can use with StopClock/ZoneMaster and Ilford below lens filters. I don't mind admitting that I was hoping that I might be able to pick your brains about the 500, in due course!

All the best.
p.s. searching Youtube, it looks as though there is a recent RH Designs channel, that has the Chris Woodhouse videos.
p.p.s. I have a strong suspicion that I may have acquired a recessed Linhof lens board from you.

Nas

Hey AdClem, I did recently sell a Linhof recessed lens board so it's highly likely you purchased it :)

Thanks for the YouTube prompt, I found some videos in this channel: Petter Sommer
From what I can tell, there are subtle differences between the Analyser Pro and the Pro 500 models which makes the videos fairly useful but not completely. I found the same with the instructions. For example, with the Pro 500 you need to press the exposure button twice for each print or test strip exposure because it controls each of the bulbs individually for soft and hard grades. This is not mentioned anywhere in the instructions I have and it's only because I heard it mentioned in one of the videos that gave me the idea to try it after initial frustration.

When making a series of 7 different exposure test strips you have to press the exposure button a total of 14 times, remembering to partially cover the paper after every other exposure. It takes a bit of getting your head around! I've only been using my Analyser Pro 500 for a few printing sessions so far but I feel it definitely gets me to a satisfactory result faster than just using the regular Ilford control panel. I'm happy to share any of my experiences so far if it will help save you time and paper.

I'll give Photrio (APUG) a try to see if anyone there has paper calibrations to share as these are key to having a good starting point with any paper.

Cheers