Please recommend a good value 80/90/105mm enlarging lens

moggi1964

Critique My Images
Yes
Must be 39mm thread.

I would like to spend up to £75 hence the 'value' part of my title. It's for 6x6 but I calculated I can use any of the three focal lengths.

Enlarger is a Phillips PCS130.

I only do B&W in the darkroom.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Rickystyx

Critique My Images
Yes
David I have a Durst 606 with a 75mm lens which can do 6x6 or 35mm and I'm intending to buy mysef a new intrepid enlarger kit so I can print my 4x5s if you are interested I'd be happy to let it go for the cost of the intrepid 6x6 and 35mm neg holders £55 then you would have a complete head that matches up. I want to keep the stand for the intrepid

moggi1964

Critique My Images
Yes
David I have a Durst 606 with a 75mm lens which can do 6x6 or 35mm and I'm intending to buy mysef a new intrepid enlarger kit so I can print my 4x5s if you are interested I'd be happy to let it go for the cost of the intrepid 6x6 and 35mm neg holders £55 then you would have a complete head that matches up. I want to keep the stand for the intrepid
@Rickystyx was this meant for David M on another thread? Wouldn't want him to miss out.

Rickystyx

Critique My Images
Yes
@Rickystyx was this meant for David M on another thread? Wouldn't want him to miss out.
Sorry I must have been having a senior moment (happens a lot these days) it was intended as a reply to you - it is there if you want it - it has the adjustable negative holder so you can get panoramas etc. it just doesn't do 4x5 which is why I am offering it as once I get the intrepid that could do all the formats I have instead of keeping this one for 35 and 6x6

Last edited:

moggi1964

Critique My Images
Yes
Sorry I must have been having a senior moment (happens a lot these days) it was intended as a reply to you - it is there if you want it - it has the adjustable negative holder so you can get panoramas etc. it just doesn't do 4x5 which is why I am offering it as once I get the intrepid that could do all the formats I have instead of keeping this one for 35 and 6x6
LOL no worries and thank you for the offer. I'll pass thank you, I think this would be of more use to someone who needs the head et al for a very good price (very generous of you). For me, I just need a lens and I'm investing all I have in that.

I look forward to hearing how the Intrepid works out for you.

David M

Critique My Images
Yes
To answer your original question, you might consider Nikon El-Nikkor, Schneider Componon or Rodenstock Rodagon.
There are much cheaper lenses that were bundled with enlargers and some very much more expensive versions of these three. You won’t see any real benefit from these unles you are making very big enlargements.
Best to do a little bit of searching as many lenses come with suffixes (such as -S) to find the differences in performance and price.

Asha

Critique My Images
No
Hi moggi,

As you know I recently acquireda nikkor EL.

I hope to try it out this weekend with a couple of 4x enlargements of 6x6 negs so I’ll let you know how it performs. ;)

moggi1964

Critique My Images
Yes
So I decided to go for a Fuji EP 90/5.6 which which has come in just a fraction over budget but is in excellent condition. I'll update you on my thoughts of it when life leaves room for some darkroom time. :(