Need some advise on the banding

Flack

Critique My Images
Yes
I scanned this photo in with my Epson 850, using the Epson Wet scanning mount, in dry mount. Its a color negative, Its Lomo 400 converted in Photoshop to B/W, if you look at the sky you can see banding in it.
It was the same before conversion to B/W, is it a scanning problem or something during development. Any advice from the knowledgeable on the forum?.Whitby Abbey.jpg

Last edited:

Joanna Carter

Critique My Images
No
Which direction were you scanning? If it was side to side, it looks like dirt on the glass in the pre-scan area

Ian-Barber

Admin
Staff member
Critique My Images
Yes
Put the negative on a light box and with a loupe, can you see changes in density

1655561484829.png

Flack

Critique My Images
Yes
Which direction were you scanning? If it was side to side, it looks like dirt on the glass in the pre-scan area

No Joanne I scanned it from top to bottom, and all my glass was cleaned before, just scanned another negative with the same setup, but different film and that shows no banding, I am wondering if its been something when I developed that negative.

David M

Critique My Images
Yes
You could scan it again, but turned through 90 degrees, to see if it reccurs, but vertically. It seems too regular to be random dirt on the pre-scan area. It looks more like inadvertant contact with some part of whatever device was used to develop it. Otherwise it could be a manufacturing fault. Do you have the next sheet of film in the box to test?
I can't really say more, but might there have been some temporary cyclic variation in the input voltage while you were scanning? No idea what could cause this.

Ian-Barber

Admin
Staff member
Critique My Images
Yes
I am wondering if its been something when I developed that negative.
You can easily rule this out by inspecting the negative on the light box. If you can see a variation in density as shown in the scan then the scanning process can be ruled out

Flack

Critique My Images
Yes
Ok did some more testing today, I tried what Ian suggested and nothing shows on the negative, or even the other negatives in the same batch.
I tried other software, rotating the negative but I still get them. According to what I read on the net, its a common thing with Epson's when the negative has bright highlights, like in the sky on my negative.

I scanned a different one in and then blew out the sky and the bands could be seen, so I need to try and get my skies better metered .
I can get rid of them by dialing down the highlights or just replace the sky if its to bad..

I even tried a wet scan on two negatives and compared them to two dry scan's, it might be my eyes but I could not see a difference between the two scan's.

Just got Ians plug-ins and liking them especially the border one..

David M

Critique My Images
Yes
It’s hard to see how highlight density could produce this regular striped effect. Surely, it would align with the highlights? This seems to be an all-over effect. If you’re using a flat-bed, might there be a fault in the drive train. A particle of dirt on one of the sprockets, for instance, might make the scanning head’s speed vary minutely and regularly, every time it rotates.
Can Epson offer any advice?

Ian-Barber

Admin
Staff member
Critique My Images
Yes
Something else which springs to mind in a dirty calibration strip which on the Epson runs along the top of the glass close to the lid hinged end

David M

Critique My Images
Yes
Yes indeed, that seems possible, but would that not produce stripes parallel to the direction of travel? As I understand it, these stripes run across.

Flack

Critique My Images
Yes
Yes indeed, that seems possible, but would that not produce stripes parallel to the direction of travel? As I understand it, these stripes run across.
I forgot to mention that when I rotated the neg from a portrait scan to a horizontal scan the bands did change.

Ian-Barber

Admin
Staff member
Critique My Images
Yes
You could try this...

Place the negative (emulsion side down) directly onto the scanner glass in the centre. To weight it down, just place a piece of glass on top, doesnt have to be any special glass for this test.

I think you are using VueScan so in the settings choose Transparency 8x10 for the Mode as this uses the second lens.

Screenshot 2022-06-21 113443.jpg

Flack

Critique My Images
Yes
Ian I am using SF, but downloaded VS trial and tried what you suggested, but it's still there, I can work around it but its a strange one.