Making them play

SomersetCookie

One of my other hobbies is repairing Brass and Woodwind instruments... a few tools of the trade. MPP MKVIII Schneider 150mm lens, Fomapan 100 exposed at f11 for 14 seconds, developed in ID11 and scanned on Epson Perfection 4870.

Attachments

• Making them play.jpg
    Making them play.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 50
I like this. You can't beat photographs taken in a decent workshop.
I am envious of that hammer. As a guitar maker, I can see it would be perfect for knocking metal frets into the fingerboard.
I also like the fact that you are using a sensible, no-nonsense film developer; ID11. Same as me. Most folks round here use that fancy Pyrocat staining stuff, despite the problems of getting the ingredients.

Alan

Thank you Alan, yes it would be ideal for that, but as with all these things they are really expensive at £50 for one that size. The only company manufacturing tools for Brass and Woodwind repairs is an American company called Ferres. Dawkes and Co in Maidenhead distribute their complete range, link below:

I've only really ever used ID11 or other Ilford developers, as I have mostly used Ilford films, and have always managed to get good consistent results, even when it has expired. Funnily enough, I have just ordered some Adox Rodinal to give that a go, and I am just starting to use Fomapan films, which I am really impressed with. I feel somewhat guilty not supporting the great British Company that is Ilford, but it is a competitive world.

I look forward to some pictures of your Luthier's workshop in due course, taken by a large format camera of course.

I will try to oblige with some pictures of the guitar making process. I record the process with a digital camera, but am usually too absorbed in the process to take the extra time out to set up a large format camera. But I have thought about doing it and will get onto it.
£50 for a hammer? Wow. Must be plenty of money in doing brass and woodwind repairs!

Alan

There's very little money doing anything to do with Music and Arts. I used to have a Musical Instrument Retail Shop until the internet killed us all off, I managed to keep my Sound and Light business going, which is involved in the installation of PA Systems and Lighting into the Entertainment industry, plus hire and operations at events and festivals …. hence the reason why I have so much time to mess around with photography at the moment. We will be the last to get our businesses back on track.

Back