I Can Handle It

thronobulax

Wisner Technical 4x5
210mm f/6.8 Caltar-II
Expired Delta 400
ASA 400
Pyrocat 1.5:1:200
Semistand for 60 min, with initial 2 minute and midpoint 15 sec agitations

Scan of silver print. Still pondering the interpretation. My sense is that image overall needs more contrast "pop" with the corners
burned in.

Attachments

Last edited:

David M

Very nicely seen.
If I may ask, might we expect at least a few of the highlights on a metallic object to be a little brighter? Not a lot, just enough to provide a key for the other tones. Perhaps the development is a little bit too controlled.
…or has the expired Delta let you down?

thronobulax

Very nicely seen.
If I may ask, might we expect at least a few of the highlights on a metallic object to be a little brighter? Not a lot, just enough to provide a key for the other tones. Perhaps the development is a little bit too controlled.
…or has the expired Delta let you down?
Yes,I think the image generally needs darker darks and brighter brights - easily achieved with split VC printing. The Southwest and Northeast corners also need to be burned down. I fiddled with the scan digitally to get a sense of what I want and there is considerable improvement possible.

Of all the older films I've tried, Delta 400 is the one that did not stand the test of time well. Though stored in a dry 20C environment, there is a lot of evident film fog, which is what is contributing to the lower contrast. As I say, some printing magic should fix this.

I'll post an update when i have something.

Last edited:

Ian Grant

I just see a poorly processed negative, no excuses for film age. I am using quite old Delta 400 and HP5 and no issues., There is another problem Ilford have never made or sold 5x4 Delta 400 so that needs some exclamation.

Ian

thronobulax

I just see a poorly processed negative, no excuses for film age. I am using quite old Delta 400 and HP5 and no issues.,
I think more like an improperly interpreted print, the negative is generally quite usable. Fog will reduce contrast but that can be corrected in the printing process ... which is what I shall do.

There is another problem Ilford have never made or sold 5x4 Delta 400 so that needs some exclamation.

Ian
Uhhh ... perhaps I imagined this?

Attachments

Ian Grant

I'd forgotten it was made for a short time, I just remember Simon Gally saying "DELTA 400 Professional Emulsion is not available on a sheet film base and no pland exist to dod so" about 10 years ago, but we'd been told the same on a factory tour in 2007 I never saw it on a shelf as a sheet film but then I didn't shoot 400ISO sheet film until I began working hand held around 2007 with HP5.

400 ISO emulsions deteriorate much faster than 100ISO emulsions so I wouldn't expect too muh from old Delta 400 sheet film now.

Ian

thronobulax

400 ISO emulsions deteriorate much faster than 100ISO emulsions so I wouldn't expect too muh from old Delta 400 sheet film now.
I thought that as well, but my recent experimentation shows that old Tri-X can be just fine for as much as 40 years after expiry. I've not tried TMY (since I do not ordinarily use it) but I wonder if the deterioration with age is a function moreso of T-grain films.

Anyway, I can't wait to get back to the darkroom and properly print the image above.