Hello New to large format - would love advice

Hi Carolyn, welcome to the form, I'm new here too although not LF photography. I'm getting back in to it after many years of absence. Just out of interest have you looked at the Horseman range of technical cameras, very robust and well made so are Toyo 45A cameras, I have used both along with their monorails. Some dealers that you might want to look at are Mr Cad, Teamwork, Linhof and Studio. Have looked at the prices though for some of these and now wish I had kept them.
Thanks for the welcome Darrin,
and welcome to you too.
I will check out the dealers you mention. It is really great to have so much help and advice .
Carolyn

Welcome Carolyn to the forum, I am glad you joined as you will get some great advice from very knowledgeable people here, one thing, don't post that picture you took of me the other weekend with the old Graphic 4x5, it will put all these guys to shame ;)
Hi Martin,
Thanks for recommending the forum.
such a lovely welcome ! I have to say you weee the best model ever! Very patient and very characterful.
c x

Go the easy route first, my Wista 45DX has been behind many exhibitions etc over the years, when you have confidence with LF then Speed Graphics and SLR's are fun.

I feel/felt like saying go Crown or Speed Graphic first but my experience was with a larger monorail first loads of mements, then the Wisat always does everything I need. I also know that the Crown Graphic have hampered me due to it's poor movements.. I have two Speed Graphics (long story) but Ijust keep them for specific uses both were basket cases when I got them, but easy to restore, but that isn't always the case.

Ian
Would you say the Wista 45DX was the easier route Ian? Just feels right to me - but as I mentioned before I have very little experience, and am just doing loads of research.

c

In all honesty if I was buying now I'd probably get a Shen Hao, I handled one while in Canada 4 or 5 years ago it was my friends wife's camera, about the same size & weight as the Wista 45DX but inter-chageable bellows, I can't remember which model but Eric was using it in a narrow canyon in the Canadian Rockies with a 58mm lens wich is ultra wide with 5x4 and needed bag bellows. The Shen Hao had front and rear focussing it may be a HZX45-IIa, it's similar in many ways to the Wists 45DX.

The Wist 45DX is an excellent camera but Shen Hao and Chamonix also make excellent field cameras, the Tachihara or Horseman Woodman cameras are other alternatives, if you want a field camera.

If you're down my way at all (North Worcestershire) you'd be welcome to play with a few different cameras, and lenses 65mm to 24".

Ian

What about this Ian?
I would need to get a lens or two and film holders. It is uk based seller too.
not sure about price though

Attachments

• 369C11EE-DF8E-4F44-9EC0-357AB52E162F.jpeg
    369C11EE-DF8E-4F44-9EC0-357AB52E162F.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 20
Well a quick check and two similar cameras sold for £900 and £845 one in Sept the other 2 days ago. At the offer price that;s seems reasonable. The £900 camera had a lens and backpack.

Ian

Hi Carolyn, and welcome to the forum. I have a Shen Hao T2 45-11A for sale, at £700. It extends to 360mm, so is very suitable for longer lenses. I live near Pickering, not too far from you, so you could pop over and take a look at it and try it out if you are interested..
The camera is in very good nick. My reason for selling is that I make my own cameras and prefer to use them. So the Shen Hao doesn't get used.

Alan

Best of both worlds Alan, try before you buy :D

Ian

Hi Carolyn, and welcome to the forum. I have a Shen Hao T2 45-11A for sale, at £700. It extends to 360mm, so is very suitable for longer lenses. I live near Pickering, not too far from you, so you could pop over and take a look at it and try it out if you are interested..
The camera is in very good nick. My reason for selling is that I make my own cameras and prefer to use them. So the Shen Hao doesn't get used.

Alan
Really interested in seeing it and trying it Alan.

Hello there,
My name is Carolyn I am a portrait photographer and am embarking on the exciting large format journey.

I have been wanted to use large format for years but haven’t had the opportunity. I mainly use digital and medium format (film). I have recently been on a weekend large format workshop. We learnt a variety of view cameras. I loved it and am really excited to take this further learn more and I know I will make lots of mistakes .

I am looking to get a field camera, and was looking at Wista 45 DX and also liked the look and feel of the Super D Graflex. The issue for me is they appear to only be available in Japan and the US ( I search eBay every day ) . Has anyone brought from Japan or the US on eBay recently ? Are the customs charges prohibitive ?

I have noticed the speed Graphic, and that looks really interesting to me, and some available in the UK .

I would love any thoughts or advice.

Thank you so much.
Carolyn

ps you can see my work on Instagram on
https://www.instagram.com/carolynmendelsohn_/

That wouldn't be the course with Dave Shrimpton by any chance? Went on one of his a while back, great experience. A good source aside from Ebay is West Yorkshire Cameras. www.usedlens.co.uk also shows a good selection of secondhand gear from the UK and the rest of the world.

Carolyn, you might like to take a look at some portraits I took a couple of years ago

Oh
That wouldn't be the course with Dave Shrimpton by any chance? Went on one of his a while back, great experience. A good source aside from Ebay is West Yorkshire Cameras. www.usedlens.co.uk also shows a good selection of secondhand gear from the UK and the rest of the world.

Hi Jonathan,

It was Chris Mackie ably assisted by Martin Henson, who is active on this forum.
Carolyn

Hello everyone,

Guess what!
After searching everyday looking for a Wista 45 Dx with a uk seller - one has come up - and I have managed to buy a mint Wista 45 Dx from a uk seller . For £850 . There is good protection on eBay - so if it isn’t as described than I can get my money back.

I now need some film holders, dark slides and a lens! So any help or advice would be great.

Also I just want to thank everyone of you for being so helpful. I am sure that I will be asking lots of questions .
But at the moment I am excited and nervous and hoping I haven’t made a foolish purchase .

Best wishes
Carolyn
Ps Attaching some screen grabs

Attachments

• B395FBB1-772C-440E-B680-135195E43570.jpeg
    B395FBB1-772C-440E-B680-135195E43570.jpeg
    67.9 KB · Views: 21
  • DAE88A00-A811-45DF-8318-B57E2A5CAD48.jpeg
    DAE88A00-A811-45DF-8318-B57E2A5CAD48.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 2D3A819E-7C3A-4BEB-B98C-BE6AAFC911D3.jpeg
    2D3A819E-7C3A-4BEB-B98C-BE6AAFC911D3.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 23
Carolyn, lens wise you cant really go wrong with anything modern from Nikon, Rosenstock or Schneider. More important is the condition. Focal length wise for portraits I really like 180mm, but anything from 135mm (good for environmental) to even 210 or 240mm for headshots/studio. 150mm is close to the classic 50mm equivalent length.

Carolyn, lens wise you cant really go wrong with anything modern from Nikon, Rosenstock or Schneider. More important is the condition. Focal length wise for portraits I really like 180mm, but anything from 135mm (good for environmental) to even 210 or 240mm for headshots/studio. 150mm is close to the classic 50mm equivalent length.
Hi Piers,

Thank you!
I have just bought a Schneider Symmar 210mm F5.6, most of my work is portraiture, but could also do with a slightly wider lens too, for more environment portraits. I have asked Santa for a good Loupe and some film holders/dark slides, then I think I am ready to start step by step , (once I have some film ) learning how to use this camera .

I am trying to get hold of a step by step guide to setting up the Wista 45 DX, but haven’t found anything yet,
So I think I will see if I can send some time (pandemic willing) with people I know who have used them.
Carolyn

When I find it I'll scan the Wista sales brochure for the camera.

I use mine very occasionally now with a 65mm f8 Super Angulkon, FIG. 21 (in the above PDF) works fine with a 75mm Super Angulon but with the 65mm the front of the focus rail is actually in the image. The trick is to tilt the back completely as in FIG.16, slacken the front rise first and then tilt the front standard so it's parallel to the back. It's easier than it sounds when you shoot if the standards are vertical the baseboard and focus rail are tilted down and out of the image circle.

Have fun you'll enjoy using the Wista.

Ian

Last edited:
Back