Hello from Surrey

Darrin

Hi all,

I am getting back in to large format photography after an absence of many years. I work as a medical photographer and digital is naturally the name of the game these days but my heart is still with film, especially monochrome. I'm currently needing to restore my Gandolfi Universal Tailboard and my MPP MkVIII meanwhile I will be messing around with my Zero Image pinhole camera. I hope to share some results soon. Oh, I also prefer vintage cameras not over keen on the modern stuff.

Ian Grant

Welcome from the sunny but cold West Midlands. I also have a GAndolfi to restore :D

Ian

Darrin

Great to join a like minded group, hoping to get mine back in operation for Spring of next year. It doesn't need a great deal doing to it other than a clean and to find a lens board. Thats far easier said than done though, they seem to non existent.

PaulNWE

I like the aesthetics of the vintage cameras - but I also like the simplicity of a modern camera. I suppose the solution is to take out both! Interested to hear you are a medical photographer. I was a medical photographer back in the late 1980s - UCL's Institute of Orthopaedics - working between Bolsover Street in central London way up to Stanmore.

Darrin

Hi Paul, always glad to meet a fellow medical illustrator. Many years ago I worked at Queen Marys in Roehampton for burns and reconstructive surgery, I currently head up the department at The Royal London and St Bartholomews in London, we work in close contact with UCL.

Marley

Hi Marley, would that be an MPP or a Linhof you're cuddling?
My trusty and rather ancient MPP. I don't think there are many better bargains in large format than a MPP Micro-technical: not insanely heavy but very rugged, plenty of movements, and fairly simple to fix if they get messed up. Mine cost me £300 with two lenses.

Darrin

Completely agree, I got mine out of a skip when the Technical college decided to go digital. It was the only one not dented and ruined by a pile of DeVere 504 and 507 enlargers thrown on top. I would have rescued those too. They even threw the Shcneider Symmars and Xenotars in as well which I promptly rescued and a whole load of darkroom kit, I currently have 90, 135, 150, 180 and 240 lenses You don't come across finds like that anymore and I can guarantee the Mac Quadras that replaced them have long since gone to landfill.

Jonathan Hotopf

A belated welcome to the group Darrin, I used to live in New Malden and had an MPP Mark 7 (even got it serviced by the MD of MPP). Used to spend my Saturdays trawling through Mr Cad when they were in Croydon. I'm now up north so its West Yorkshire Cameras I frequent.

Darrin

Hi Jonathan, I know Mr Cad or Alex Falk very well and I'm still a customer of their Aladdins cave of a shop in Pimlico. Nice to meet a fellow MPP user, great cameras.