Hello from Plymouth University Photography Department

Fatwoul

Hello,

My name is Robin, and I am one of the two photography technicians at the University of Plymouth. Prior to that I was a freelance product photographer in Devon. Before that I studied photography at PCA(D), and before that I did a degree in astrophysics in Leeds.

I fell out of love with photography a few years back for a variety of personal reasons, but have been finding my way back over the last couple of years, having bought far too many old Nikon 35mms, and now messing around with a couple of Fuji digitals. It's becoming a very nice form of therapy for me.

I'm starting to dabble a bit with 5x4 after a very long hiatus, and am hoping to get the students at work a bit more engaged with it, too. Our fleet in uni consists of Wista 45s, a couple of Linhof rails, and a Sinar knocking around somewhere. Personally, I am in the market for a Wista or Horseman of my own to take with me when we're finally able to move around again.

Nice to meet you all.

Ian Grant

Welcome from a Wista user I've had my 45DX nearly 35 years and it's getting worn out but still produces the goods :D

Ian

Ian Grant

Good to see a technichian knows how to use the equipment. Not so many years ago a Wovlerhampton Uni student booked out LF equipment and I had to teach him how to use it as the technicians had no clue. And then thinking back I had to sort out Hasselblad issues a few years earlier and I've never used one but same Uni :D

Ian

Fatwoul

Thank you for your warm welcomes. I'm most likely going to lurk around reading for a while before really contributing, but I thought I'd make myself known first.

I've managed to cobble together an old Horseman rail setup to play with for now, using one of the university's 150mm Schneiders. Not very portable, but I'll try and get out with that and have a play for the moment. Ultimately I'll need something I can carry in a rucksack, as I don't drive (after 10 years of deep sky astrophotography, I've realised I am pre-destined to choose hobbies that require transportation, whilst having none of my own). If I get any results out of the Horseman that aren't completely embarrassing, I'll be sure to share them.

I might also take one of the university's Wista 45s out, (we have a VX and and SP). However, they will almost certainly need a little more attention before I do. I have no doubt that a Wista field camera would suit me personally, my experience of them at work has been a little rattly and loose. Students often let their enthusiasm get ahead of them, and are not always the most gentle users of equipment.

Fatwoul

For those interested, I managed to acquire a fairly nice condition Wista 45 SP and a Fujinon 135/5.6. The combination suits me well and I'm already enjoying using it. As suspected, the movements are far nicer on this one than on the ones at work!

Ian Grant

That's a good combination, very similar to the Graflex Super Graphic and 135mm Caltar II-S (Symmar S) I use in my light weight/hand held LF kit.

Ian

Fatwoul

Thanks Ian, I like it too. I surprised myself, as with most other formats longer focal lengths have become my firm favourite (I usually wander around with an X-Pro2 with a 50mm/2 on it, not sure if mentioning such things will get me banned!). But in this case, 135mm really seems to work for my current subjects.

The main reason for the lens was right price/right time. However, a couple of bonuses of using this combination are that it folds down without having to remove/reverse the lens, and that the little focus scale is for 135mm, so like yours my setup is small enough to carry on foot, and quick enough setup that I can get (approximately) the image I was aiming for before the British weather changes.