Hello from Edinburgh.

Hendo'svan

Popular Poster
My name is Andrew, and I have been using a camera for the last 40 years, I used a Mamiya c330F and Minolta 600si back in the early 90s and had my own darkroom and developed both colour and Black and White.
When my son was almost ready to be born, the darkroom got converted into a nursery, and soon after the TLR got sold, as well as the darkroom equipment.
Then for the last few years it's been digital, currently with a Sony A6000 and PC with Lightroom, but like many during the Covid lock down's I started reading about more people using film, and thought I would give it another go, and have now set up a new darkroom in the attic, and use a Minolta XG-M and Bronica SQ-A.
Now I have ordered an Intrepid 5x4, which I hope to get my hands on next month, and have purchased a couple of lenses, 150mm and a 90mm, so looking forward to getting to know the world of large format.

Hello and welcome back to the fold. I was out in -8C here in the middle of the US shooting with my Speed Graphic. At this point, the only way I can determine what "too cold" might be is when the bellows refuse to move.

Welcome, I have a few relatives in Edinburgh. My father's cousin opened the famous vegetarian sandwich bar in the city. So I visit occasionally :D

Ian

ahh, thats a great decision! Gratulation, 5x4" in Edinburgh must be Wonderfull and Scottish highlands too.

Welcome.
Have you ordered the Intrepid enlarger module, or will you be using your digital skills on the 5x4 negs? Both methods seem to work well.

Welcome.
Have you ordered the Intrepid enlarger module, or will you be using your digital skills on the 5x4 negs? Both methods seem to work well.
Hi David
No, not yet but will be later this year, probably make it a family birthday present to me where everyone can chip in :), I will be digitizing them with my Sony A6000 and macro lens, as I do currently with my 35mm and 120. I'm now reading all I can on the various developing methods of 5x4 negatives, and will probably start with using trays as I have all ready got these, also looking at "Slosher tray" designs too.
I like the look of the Stearman Press, but funds will be a bit scarce, maybe a Christmas present :)

H

A Paterson Orbital makes a good alternative to trays and can be used in daylight.

You can process four 5x4 sheets in it providing you use the dividing pegs.

Mike

Trays were good enough for Saint Ansel and Saint Edward. I used them successfully for years until I developed eczema (from another source, not from photography). I was processing six negs at a time and at a pinch could do ten. It does need an adequate quantity of darkness, whereas the tanks can be loaded in a dark tent and processed in normal light. Will Intrepid will ever do one?
People seem scared for some reason and although it does need a little practice it’s very flexible and the equipment is cheap.

Trays were good enough for Saint Ansel and Saint Edward. I used them successfully for years until I developed eczema (from another source, not from photography). I was processing six negs at a time and at a pinch could do ten. It does need an adequate quantity of darkness, whereas the tanks can be loaded in a dark tent and processed in normal light. Will Intrepid will ever do one?
People seem scared for some reason and although it does need a little practice it’s very flexible and the equipment is cheap.

I will certainly give the trays a try as well as the "Taco" and "Tray slosher" method as it saves me having to buy any more equipment, each method seems to have it's fans and detractors, and I like trying things out and making my own mind up. No doubt I will be badgering the forum with questions in due course, but my first impressions of this place are very positive and I'm delighted with the warm welcome, thank you so much.

Welcome Andrew from a fellow Scot. I am new to the LF forum and format but I can promise you based on my expereince you have found a helpful and friendly bunch. Good luck sir.

Welcome Andrew; I'm also in the "Intrepid 4x5 with 150mm and 90mm lenses" club. I now use the Stearman SP-445 which is very easy to load and my only regret is that I didn't go straight down that route. Having said that my darkroom is a Nova darkroom tent with a 4x5 enlarger squeezed in and a Nova slot processor, with no room for trays.

Sounds like an excellent working setup.
Presumably the Nova slot processor would process film too, if necessary. 10x8, perhaps?

Hi Andrew
I've just ordered the Intrepid as well. How are you finding it?
Looking forward to receiving mine.

Hi Andrew
I've just ordered the Intrepid as well. How are you finding it?
Looking forward to receiving mine.
Hi
I love it, a different expierence for sure, but I'm getting the hang of setting it up using some of the movements, I reckon it takes me on average 30 min from taking the camera out taking the shot and packing it away again, slow and methodical is the way I try and work.
I still make errors though, roughly 25% of the time, these include, not inserting the film in the holders properly, forgetting to turn the dark slide black label outwards, after a shot and forgetting which slide to remove the next time, so ended up with a double exposure, and forgetting to re-adjust the aperture after composing a shot, leading to over exposed film.

I bought a fresnel screen last week, but haven't had the camera out to try it out yet and I made a DIY dark cloth with 2, XXL T shirts one Black and one White for the outside, I also use a linen tester to help with focussing. So I would say I'm more confident with it, I just have to remember to slow down.

Andrew

That's great to hear you're getting on well with the Intrepid. I was a bit worried before buying because some reviews suggested it was maybe a bit difficult for a beginner to learn on with the lack of zero-ing, but I decided to take the plunge anyway.

I find my process for medium format film is a lot slower compared with digital, so fully expecting this process to slow down even further with large format once I start playing with the camera movements. I ordered a fresnel also after reading some reviews it can be difficult to focus on the gg in certain conditions.

Will be interesting to see how this process copes with the Scottish winter...will soon find out I guess!

That's a good point to note David, thanks. Do you have any tips you can share on winter photography to avoid fogging...apart from holding your breath? :)

I've a feeling a lot of this journey is going to be trial and error.

Not really. A micro-fibre cloth to wipe the screen, or if it’s bright, trying to manage without. Other members may have better solutions.
You can also get condensation on lenses if you bring them indoors after getting chilled outside. Replace the lens caps and put them back in the bag to warm up slowly. Don’t breathe on the lens when you set the shutter.
Shutters may slow down if they need a clean.
If there’s snow, be careful about where you leave footprints. Wrap up warm. You’ll be standing still.

Reactions: NJH
Welcome to the new intrepid club too - Another new intrepid they are doing well out of us. Mine will be arriving next week and I can't wait to give it a go. I'm wondering about the intrepid enlarger too although I've seen lots of discussion about them by people who don't have one and have never used one, finding a review from people who have seems quite hard to do - Very tempted to get the kit and add it to my Calumet (I know it doesn't have a graflock but I am sure I can overcome that) which would give it something to do instead of just sitting on the shelf after the new intrepid arrives. I'm looking forward to a trip to Edinburgh later in the year too.

Back