Great Customer Support From Foma - Update On Fomapan 200 Issues

thronobulax

Critique My Images
Yes
Although this is not specifically a 5x4 thing, I thought others here would find this of interest:

A while back I bought some Fomapan 200 in 120 and noticed that the film had a lot of dust flecks in it an showed signs of scratching - in a camera that handles all other films flawlessly. I contacted Foma in the Czech Republic and this was their response:

the mentioned marks/scratches are caused by interaction of metal mechanics of the camera with our more sensitive emulsion layer of FOMAPAN 200.

Our material Fomapan 200/120 contains the specific T-grains which are very fragile, prone to damage during manipulation with this type of film. It means mainly during transportation in some cameras, mechanical strain in press, pull, shear.

The material Fomapan 100 and 400, and Retropan 320 have another type of emulsion with the different type of classic grains, where this issue does not occur. Our technical team occupies with this issue.

We recommend to our clients to use another camera/s if possible and polish thoroughly the metal parts of the camera which are in direct contact with the film to reduce partially unfavourable effects.

Anyway we are ready to provide you with replacement of your bought films. We suggest to you substituting them with our 120 rolls in other sensitivity, i.e. FOMAPAN 100, FOMAPAN 400 or RETROPAN 320, alternatively FOMAPAN 200 in 35 mm / sheet film. Please, specify/prove your bought quantity, your preference for replacement and also your delivery address & cell phone no. in case of Europe.

We are indeed sorry for made inconveniences to you.

Waiting for your reply with your details to follow our replacement.

There are two important points here: 1) Fomapan 200 in 120 is VERY fussy about camera transport mechanisms because of how that film is made. (I note with agreement that both 5x4 and 35mm do not have this problem). 2) Foma provide outstanding customer support.

Keith Haithwaite

Critique My Images
Yes
Call me an old cynic but this is the nicest way of blaming the photographer whilst feigning a 'technical issue under investigation' I have ever seen. :rolleyes: In 2018 I shot Foma 200 in a YashicaMat, Mamiya C33f and a Zeiss Nettar with no issues other that it was probably the springiest 120 film I could ever remember shooting in 55+ years and that the emulsion did seem rather soft.

Then I tried it in my Pentax 545 N. To cut a long story short, every time I tried to shoot Foma 200 in this camera it would do a few frames and then refuse to do any more - returning a generic error code. Five rolls, five failures. I never did get to the bottom of the problem other that by never using that film in my Pentaz 645 N again and I continue to use other film with no issues. The frames I salvaged were clean with no defects.

I shoot Fomapan 100, 200 and 400 in 5x4 format and 200 in 120 and I really like the film but I hesitate to spend any more of my pension on Foma 200 and find it still causes the same problem, ......... however, if someone wants to donate a roll I'd be willing to give it another go. ;)

thronobulax

Critique My Images
Yes
Call me an old cynic but this is the nicest way of blaming the photographer whilst feigning a 'technical issue under investigation' I have ever seen. :rolleyes: In 2018 I shot Foma 200 in a YashicaMat, Mamiya C33f and a Zeiss Nettar with no issues other that it was probably the springiest 120 film I could ever remember shooting in 55+ years and that the emulsion did seem rather soft.

Then I tried it in my Pentax 545 N. To cut a long story short, every time I tried to shoot Foma 200 in this camera it would do a few frames and then refuse to do any more - returning a generic error code. Five rolls, five failures. I never did get to the bottom of the problem other that by never using that film in my Pentaz 645 N again and I continue to use other film with no issues. The frames I salvaged were clean with no defects.

I shoot Fomapan 100, 200 and 400 in 5x4 format and 200 in 120 and I really like the film but I hesitate to spend any more of my pension on Foma 200 and find it still causes the same problem, ......... however, if someone wants to donate a roll I'd be willing to give it another go. ;)
It didn't feel that way to me, honestly. I thought they were trying to make a best effort to make the customer happy. The problem for me is that I really love F200 in 120. It's an amazing film, especially when stand processed in Pcat-HD. Oh well, I'll continue it's use in larger- and smaller formats where there is no issue. I don't think they will ask for the bad film back. If they don't, I'll try some of it in another camera. I shot it in a Yashica-MAT 124 G, perhaps it will do better in a Hasselblad A12...

I do keep in mind that film manufacturing is a complex process and there are fewer and fewer manufacturers around these days, so my hope is that Foma prosper and live on a long time ...

Keith Haithwaite

Critique My Images
Yes
.........I do keep in mind that film manufacturing is a complex process and there are fewer and fewer manufacturers around these days, so my hope is that Foma prosper and live on a long time ...
I absolutely agree, we have to encourage every manufacturer to keep on producing and we can best do this by buying film.

thronobulax

Critique My Images
Yes
Just a brief update on this. Foma came through on this. Yesterday, I received sheet film to replace the defective rollfilm, as well as a quite beautiful company calendar as a gift.

100% satisfied with this company - they stand behind their products.

Ian-Barber

Admin
Staff member
Critique My Images
Yes
100% satisfied with this company - they stand behind their products.
Nice to hear that another company are passionate about their products. I had an issue with Ilford FP4 Mottling a while back and Ilford were very apologetic and responded in a very timely manor.

I have a few odds and ends of other films but once they have gone, FomaPan and Ilford will be the only films I stock and use.

Jonathan Hotopf

Critique My Images
Yes
Nice to hear that another company are passionate about their products. I had an issue with Ilford FP4 Mottling a while back and Ilford were very apologetic and responded in a very timely manor.

I have a few odds and ends of other films but once they have gone, FomaPan and Ilford will be the only films I stock and use.
I'll have to get onto Ilford myself as I've got a whole load of mottling on my FP4+ 120 films, been through all my results just seems to be just the FP4 films, HP5 and Pan F seem fine.

Asha

Critique My Images
No
Not such a long time I had issues with severe speckles on the resulting negatives from Foma 100 in 10x8 sheet format.

Foma suggested a method to try save my exposures ( it worked to a point), and offered a replacement box of film with no quibble.

All in all an excellent after sales service!