Gandolfi Tailboard restoration

Hi Ian, how much modification will have to take place to make it fit, assuming I can find a Graflex spring back. Would love to move this up to a 5x7 (13x18) if possible.

It would be possible to make a back to take modern 7x5 DDS, however because the missing book form back is smaller than one needed for the modern DDS film holders it would be a compromise.

Fitting a Graflex 5x4 back would be simple, no modifications to the camera itself.

Ian

Hi Elmo,

I'm lucky enough to have both the original half plate back and the 5x4 back, but no lens board. I have a whole load of mahogany in the garage salvaged from a large chest. Just a matter of finding the time to get the router table out and make some.
Would dearly love some bookform plate holders though, so I can try out some of the glass plates now available, ISO 2 wow.

There's someone not far from me with two large shelves full of book form plate holders. A few years ago I bought three boxes of metal plate holders from him, and asked about wooden ones. I've slowly sold off around half the metal ones at reasonable prices.

I see him usually at the camera fair I go to, he wasn't at the last one, the issue is he has too many other items blocking access, but he has said I can have them as a job lot when he gets around to it.

Ian

These photos show the issues:

hp1.jpg

This half plate back is similar in size to yours, next to it is a modern Kodak Half plate holder, same dimensions as a 7x5 holder.

hp2.jpg

Gandolfi Half plate International back, with the same book-form back.

hp3.jpg

The Gandolfi back with the holder alongside in its relative position.

If you find a Graflex 5x4 back it needs raising slightly to facilitate removing the holders after use.

This is the 10x8 to 5x4 reducing back that came with my first 10x8 Agfa Ansco, it started life as a 10x8 to 7x5 reducing back.

reducing-back.jpg

Ian

Back