Fomapan 200 - Interested in other people's experience.

thronobulax

Very Active Poster
I have an unopened box of Foma 200 5x4 that will be put to use as soon as my other open boxes get depleted.

In the mean time - on the hope that this film is the same in different formats - I did shoot a short roll of it in 35mm and Semistand processed it in Pyrocat-HD.

An inspection by loupe on a light table was really impressive. The acutity and sharpness is superb and grain almost nonexistent. I have great hopes for this film in the larger format.

I'd love to hear the experience of others using Foma 200 and any guidance they'd care to provide.

Foma 200 is really the only film I use in 5x4. I personally like everything about it. The reciprocity can be sometimes frustrating but apart from that, its a lovely film with lovely tonality.

It can build up contrast very quickly in the developer so as long as you are aware of this, you can make adjustments / allowances for it. I develop it it Pyrocat 1+1+100 12 minutes and am about to test it in some homebrew D23

Foma 200 is really the only film I use in 5x4. I personally like everything about it. The reciprocity can be sometimes frustrating but apart from that, its a lovely film with lovely tonality.

It can build up contrast very quickly in the developer so as long as you are aware of this, you can make adjustments / allowances for it. I develop it it Pyrocat 1+1+100 12 minutes and am about to test it in some homebrew D23

Do share your results here with D-23. I found that the Semistand/60min first attempt gave me great negs, BTW.

Do you have a good reference for the reciprocity behaviour of this film that you could share?

I've shot a few hundred rolls of 120 Fomapan 100 & 200, I've settled on the 200 at 100 ISO in Pyrocat HD 1+1 to 100 for 10 mins @ 20ºC, I also use Fomapan 200 sheet film a well same speed and deve time. Ive just stocked up with more around 60 rolls 120 20 rolls 35,,. 100 sheets 10x8 and most of a box of 5x4.

Some years ago I shot two test rolls to check reciprocuty and it's nowhere near as bad as Foma's own tdata., I have put the dat in a psot somewhere here and also Photrio,

In terms of image quality if you've nailed the EI and development times to conquer the contrast it's a superb film as good as Ilford & Kodak, but you do need to control it :D

Ian

I printed some of the 35mm test material this weekend and the quality was well beyond what I am used to seeing in the smaller format (

Did you find that after it was dry, it was very curly and coiled up like a spring

I recently got a box of short dated Fomapan 200 in 5x7, must try this one out. Have always got on with Fomapan 400 in 4x5 and never had scratches or any problems with it, I think I prefer it to Bergger. The Naked Photographer reviewed Fomapan 200 a while back he says the film should be rated at 160.

Last edited:
Back