Followup On Very Old (1961) Film Development

thronobulax

Active Member
Registered User
I finally got around to making some test prints from the negatives I made from Super-XX that had expired in January of 1961.

Scans of the prints here:

https://ozzie.tundraware.com/SuperXX/

Notes:

  • Shot handheld with a 2x3 Speed Graphic ... hence the lack of absolute sharpness.

  • D-23 1:1 and Pyrocat-HD 1.5:1:200 both semistand processed (1 midpoint agitation after initial) for 60 minutes.

  • The image imperfections on the D-23 image likely were caused by the first sheet of film in the box being stuck to the wrapper. Not shocking after 61+ years.

  • The Pyrocat negative shows more apparent fog where the D-23 negative shows nothing remarkable. I cannot tell whether this is truly fog or merely the very visible presence of Pyro stain (likely).

  • Both developers delivered the full box ASA 200.

  • To my eye, the Pyrocat negative shows less grain, noting that Super-XX was considered grainy in its time, and would be especially so compared to modern film.

All-in-all, it looks like semistand processing of very old films yields entirely useful images. The only question for me is whether I should try this with films made in the 1940s ;)
 

thronobulax

Active Member
Registered User
Addendum: Upon inspecting some of the unexposed sheets, I see that the non-emulsion side shows blotchy discolouration and at least one of the emulsion sides shows an imperfection. This isn't shocking, given the age of this stuff. My overall conclusion is that - while it is indeed possible to get very usable negatives - the physical imperfections of film this old make is unusable for anything important.
 
Top