Filing your negatives.

Camerashy

How do you file your negatives, do you store them in glassine/clear file sleeves? Do you write on the negative, sleeve or both? What date/place/code do you use? Thank you in advance.

Ian Grant

I use the clear Printfile sleeves, I write the date and location also the negative nubers on ech sheet. Theses are themn stored in ring binders in my darkroom, in two large Really Useful Boxes. Reality is I now need to start a third box :D

Ian

mpirie

My negs are numbered consecutively and stored in glassine sheets. These are then stored in stacking 4-ring drawers so they're kept flat.The drawer units are in the darkroom so i can file and retrieve quickly. I don't write on the negs.

The numbers and all the shooting details are added to an Excel spreadsheet which is backed up in several different places.

Mike

thronobulax

Filed in Printfile sleeves. Numbered using the pattern yyyymmdd-x-y where:

yyyymmdd - Date of shoot
x - Sequence number for days with multiple shoots - normally just '1'
y - Film holder ID number - helps to diagnose failing/leaking holders

This number is written on the clear edge of each sheet with permanent ink.

This, along with a spreadsheet printout of exposure information and notes is filed in Tyvek envelope.

Diz

Secol sleeves with date and venue written. Stored in Adox clam ring binder.
Cheers
Diz

Stephen Batey

My negatives are in Printfile sleeves, stored in a 4 ring binder. Nothing is written on negatives or sleeves. All negatives are scanned, and a contact sheet equivalent of each page printed to be filed with the negatives. This contains the negative numbers, running consecutively up from 0001 with the binder number (and type) as a prefix. e.g. LF010023 would be the 23rd negative in large format binder 01.

These contact strips can be viewed on my computer to enable reasonably fast access to a negative. Except that when the number of sheets exceeded 100...

Asha

Negs are placed in individual glassine sleeves which have the location ( town) and date ( year) noted on them.
These in turn are stored in a cardboard 'file' type box.

Wether the negs are scanned or wet printed to produce a print, they are all scanned and filed on the computer hardrive with a suitable title, town and date ( year).