EuroHC vs Pyrocat-HD

lensworx

Hi all

I may be other thinking this but I had read for a while now about the advantages of pyrocat-HD and started looking into EMA and the such.
A while back I switched over to using EuroHC due to shortages which by all accounts has pyrocatechol in and I have been happy with it.

Now venturing into 4x5 I am wondering if I should give pyrocat-HD a go instead. Now apart from the compensating and staining effects that I could potentially see with pyrocat over eurohc has anyone tested the difference in grain, tonality, sharpness and microcontrast etc... between these two?

I may well be just over thinking things but thought I would pose the question in case. I will be using it at present mainly with foma and possibly shanghai films. I also have a hyrid workflow so will be scanning in rather than creating darkroom prints. Given that I also shoot mainly landscapes I can see how pyrocat would offer a number of advantages but thought I would ask first.

Thanks in advance

Mark

I've been using Pyrocat HD for 20 years now, initially I also used replenished Xtol. After moving abroad in late 2006 it became my sole developer by the end of 2007. It is such a god developer, negatives print & scan easily.

Ian

I've been using Pyrocat HD for 20 years now, initially I also used replenished Xtol. After moving abroad in late 2006 it became my sole developer by the end of 2007. It is such a god developer, negatives print & scan easily.

Ian
Thanks Ian, I figured it would be but thought I would pose the question.
I have bitten the bullet and put an order in now for some. I also have a secondhand Stearman press press tank coming to try and cut down on chemical usage. My current setup with a home made 3D printed insert requires around 1L at a time. I figured the Stearman press tank would be better alternative long term with the likes of Pyrocat-HD. I will take a look now and see if I can do some research and find some times for Normal, EMA and semi-stand etc... on foma and shanghai.

Last edited:
Back