Durst TIM 60

Ian-Barber

Admin
Staff member
I have never owned an enlarger timer and was surprised to see a Durst TIM 60 in the charity shop bargain box so I bought it as unknown working.

Cleaned it up and plugged it into the enlarger and although its a bit hit and miss, it does count and turn off the enlarger.
I noticed that the dial was dimly illuminated so I shone a torch on it and then it started to glow like those toy skeletons we had in the 1980's

Anyone know how long its supposed to glow for as it seems to die after about 8 minutes

thronobulax

That's seems reasonable. A glow in the dark watch face has about the same time roughly. The duration is proportional to the amount of fluorescing material (likely not much with those small dials) and the brightness of the light. Set it outside in the sun for 20 minutes and see what it does.

If you are getting intermittent timing, it likely due to mechanical contacts inside the timer that have gotten dirty over the years. Find yourself a can of Dexoit. Unplug the timer, open it up and clean any contacts you can find by spraying a small amount of Deoxit onto the contact. You don't need much. Just a very light burst, and then work the mechanics back and forth to clean off the contact crud. Deoixit is magical stuff and can should last a very long time.

Nice find!

Ian-Barber

Admin
Staff member
I haven't tried it yet for accuracy on times, it was the glow from the dial which bothered me, looks like i will have to give it a quick burst from the flash light before I do any printing.