developing paper negatives on the road

Rickystyx

Critique My Images
Yes
I've started playing with paper negatives and also Harman direct positive paper and think I'm getting the hang of things but I'm off on holiday next week and I have a little problem I'd like to solve. The harman paper and of course film goes into my Jobo tank without problem but I tried today with some Ilford grade 2 paper which is very thin and flexible in comparison. Whilst at home I can develop in trays now I have sorted a darkroom but I can't take the darkroom on holiday with me which is why I am trying to use the dark bag and a tank.
I'm happy with my experiments as far as getting a reasonable negative developed but the Ilford paper is a nightmare to get into a spiral as it just flicks out at the tinyest provocation, You can't develop more than two pieces as it is so flexible that two prints in one side of the tank will flex and touch so you get undeveloped patches. This much I have learned but I was wondering if anyone has tried the Stearman press 4x5 tank for developing paper?
My thought is that being flat holders it might do a better job of holding the paper negatives and will solve my on the road issues.

Last edited:

Monsta

Critique My Images
Yes
I like the old paterson orbital for sheet films. They are quite pricey but should work well for paper too.

David M

Critique My Images
Yes
The Orbital was intended for paper. There was a very handy (but rather fragile) calculator for a hot pre-wash to get the right temperature for the developer.
A very long shot, but could you use the black bags that paper comes in to develop in. In darkness, put in some developer, pop in the paper, fold over the top twice and secure with a bulldog clip. Now slosh the thing about a bit until the time is up, then pour out the developer from a corner and insert some stop. Slosh again, pour out and bung in the fix. By this time the paper will be insensitive to light. A few changes of water to rinse and there you are.
A small funnel might be a useful addition.
I haven't tried this, so it's all unproven speculation.

Rickystyx

Critique My Images
Yes
I went for a stearman press which with four bottles fits nicely into a breif case and together with my Calumet dark tent makes a great on the road processing kit. I'm going to try adding two more bottles for citric acid and hydrogen peroxide to be able to produce paper possitives