Close Up Aesthetic

thronobulax

Very Active Poster
First, in full disclosure, the attached is a scan of a 2x3 negative not 5x4. However, I present it here seeking your input on its interpretation. I intend to silver print this, but manipulated the scan to begin approximating what that print might look like. (I increasingly find that digital previsualization helps accelerate the wet process.) So what say ye - how would you improve/alter/redo this interpretation:

Attachments

• 20210911-1-20.jpg
    20210911-1-20.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 48
Firstly I love the texture and range of tones ... great as is.
If It was my image I just might crop a narrow strip off the right hand side as I find my own eye drawn out of the image just a little by the amount of lighter tone and wider grain in the wood. But then again I might not.

Firstly I love the texture and range of tones ... great as is.
If It was my image I just might crop a narrow strip off the right hand side as I find my own eye drawn out of the image just a little by the amount of lighter tone and wider grain in the wood. But then again I might not.

Thanks. I'm still wresting with this series in the darkroom. The interpretation above feels a bit too strongly low key and needs general brightening ... maybe ...

I agree about the right-hand edge. It’s not quite earning all its space. And most certainly some edge burning. Maybe slightly brighter highlights…
All this with the proviso that I’m viewing on one particular screen.

Last edited:
Back