120 Roll Film and the 5x4 camera

RobMac

Having a Pentax 6x7 MF camera already, I'm wondering what difference to expect when using 120 roll film on a 5x4 camera? Other, that is, than the cost per shot being cheaper. The lenses would different, of course.

I'm not contemplating only using 120 film on my 5x4 when it arrives, far from it, but the occasional use might be interesting.

And is the Calumet C2(N) the only way to do that?

Last edited:

David M

You can use the same lenses. Only the back needs to change to accommodate the magazine.
I have no information on the Calumet device. The two sliding strips on the back of the Intrepid are to hold roll-film holders and suchlike, after the normal ground glass is removed. Many focus screens are already marked with frames, ready for roll-film use.

James T

There is also a DaYi(+) 6x12 holder (not to be confused with the 6x17 holder). They are sold via an Ebay store in Hong Kong (though I got mine from another member of this forum), but I've no idea what the current shipping situation is. It comes with masks for 6x9, 6x6 and 6x4.5.
I mostly use it for colour, as (a) colour 5x4 film is outrageously priced(*), and (b) places to get it processed are not that common.

(+) I have seen it said that DaYi and Shen Hao are actually the same company but I'm not sure if this is true or not.]
(*) Kodak and Fuji both price their 5x4 film much higher per unit are than roll films, while Ilford is similar and Foma are cheaper.

RobMac

Thanks, gentlemen. I got an email back from Intrepid saying the the Calumet C2 does work with their 5x4. So I'll go that route.

Seems easy enough to use:

Alan9940

Not to state the obvious and you can use the same lenses (as David mentioned), but remember that a 210mm lens is still a 210mm lens whether on 5x4 or 6x7; that is, slightly longer than normal on 5x4 and short(ish) telephoto on 6x7.

Ian Grant

Coming at it from a different angle I contemplated buying an RB67 mid 1980's I was already using Mamiya 645 cameras and had been using LF for work but a heavy Whole plate, Half plate, & 5x4 De Vere monorail. One of my raesons for wanting to move from the 645 cameras was I kept running out of depth of focus and stopping down was insufficient. Having been used to movements with the De Vere and a 5x4 back I realised I'd have the same issues with an RB67.

In the end I bought a Wista 45DX, I already had a 5x4 enlarger, I added a Wista 6x9 roll film back a year or so later. At the time I was often out shooting for hours at a time away from my car so the roll film holder was a useful back up as I'd usually only be carrying 6 DDS. At the time 120 Agfa AP25 then APS 25 was available and the MF images shot with it were comparable print quality to 5x4 shot on AP100/APX100 or Tmax 100. There were also times I preferred the 6x9 format, I very rarely crop an image.

With some still life images, and also landscapes the roll film back should give you greater flexibility because of the ability to use movements. Once you've used the Intrepid and had a play you'll realise why :D

Ian