WTB 5x4 camera

A Moore

Hi folks,

I'm the lookout for a 5x4 outfit on the cheaper end of the scale. I don't mind if it's a little beat up or needs a few repairs and some TLC.

Ideally I think I'd like to pick up an MPP and I'm hoping to start experimenting with wet and dry plates along some sheet film here and there.

Many thanks in advance for any leads.

A Moore

Many thanks for your reply Paul, I should have specified that I'm after a field camera rather than a monorail.

Thank you all the same!

Ian Grant

I guess you need to set a budget, 5x4 equipment needn't be expensive if you know what you are doing. David has mentioned MPP, be aware the prices on Ebay are often rather on the high side although there can be bargains. I paid £70 for two MkIII Micro Technicals, one missing its back that cost another £20, and it was also in parts. I didn't pay much more for a MkVII with a 150mm lens.

Ian

David M

Ian,
It’s just a “place to start”, as A Moore mentioned MPP in the original post.
I’d suggest looking at Intrepid, but I don’t insist. As you’ve mentioned yourself, these bargains from camera fairs often need remedial work. Excellent for the experienced camera-restorer, of course. An absorbing occupation during lockdown too, so I wouldn’t rule out restoring a bargain at all.
One small practical point is that there are unlikely to be camera fairs in the immediate (or even foreseeable) future. Someone on this forum may have something to sell.
You’re entirely right about the sometimes inflated prices on eBay. I think we should also warn about buying items from overseas. Importing things can add surprisingly large costs to what looks like a bargain. I found out the hard way.

Ian Grant

I think a MPP Micro Technical is a better long term piece of kit than an intrepid, look at the Sold prices on ebay. With a lens MkVI and MkVII cameras can vary from £100 with no lens to £500 plus as a complete outfit with case etc, but I'd consider £225 - £250 to be a fair price with a lens.

The MkVIII is not as well made and lens boards less common. I'd avoid the 135mm Xenar because it doesn't allow much in the way of movements. One downside to the Micro Technicals is you can's use faster 90mm lenses like the 90mm f5.6 Super Angulon or the 90mm f4.5 Nikkor or Grandagon N, the rear cells won't fit through. No problems with the 90mm f6.8 Grandagon N or 90mm f8 Super Angulon.

Ian

Alan Clark

Didn't John Blakemore use an MPP? Don't know which model. And he only use one lens, a 180mm. I believe. Not saying everyone should follow suit....

Alan

David M

Can’t disagree with any of that. I started with an MPP. Then I wanted something lighter.
Yes, John used (uses?) an MPP, but he seems to have branched out into digital photography now.

Ian Grant

From memory John uswes a MkVII. Most regard the MkVII as the best of the Micro Technicals.

If the OP wants to use a roll film back then a MkVII or late version MkVI have Graflok backs, while there are roll film back that can be used with spring backs they are hard to find now and tend to be more expensive.

We shouldn't overlook the MkIII's unfortunately these often look very scruffy because the covering material was poor, it's easy enough to re-cover them.

Ian

A Moore

Thanks for all your input folks! I've more or less narrowed it down to something like a MPP Micro Technical.

Ebay prices do indeed fluctuate from bargains to madness but I think at the moment I could afford something in the €250-ish range.

Those MPP's that you've picked up are real bargains Ian!

I've looked at Intrepid and they seem like a great entry level camera at an affordable price. I think if I can though, I'd like to hold out and keep hunting for a camera with some more precision in it's movements.

Absolutely not above fixing something up so if anyone has something sitting in an old box...