White Rose

Discussion in 'Still Life & Close Up' started by Keith Haithwaite, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Keith Haithwaite

Keith Haithwaite Active Member

Following Ian’s disastrous results with Fomapan and the app he used to calculate exposure, I decided to try an experiment along the same lines. I set up the camera to shoot a small white indoor rose plant using similar set up to Ian using a single energy saving light source:

Rose_60%-1000-Web.jpg

Shen Hao 5x4, Schneider Symmar 150mm @ f45, Fomapan 100

Exposure calculations:
    Indicated exposure 7 seconds.
    150mm lens, 250mm total bellows extension
    Bellows draw chart indicated an increase in exposure of 1.47 stops so I rounded it out to 20 sec.
    The Reciprocity Chart for Fomapan 100 indicated the exposure needed to be increased from 20 sec to 204 sec.

Developed in HC-110 Dilution F. Indicated development time was 12 minutes but having seen Ian’s results I decided to give approx. 40% less at 7 minutes.

Although the flower was, as expected, still quite dense it still retained all the detail in the bloom.

martin henson likes this.
  2. alexmuir

alexmuir Member

Out of interest, I fed the nearest numbers into the App. Base exposure was 8 rather than 7 seconds. Outcome was 192 seconds for 100 and 282 for Classic.
    The figure for 100 is not too far off. Significant reduction in development is obviously necessary.
    Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Keith Haithwaite

Keith Haithwaite Active Member

I have been scouring the net to try and find out the difference between Fomapan 100 and Fomapan 100 Classic without success. Foma make no reference to Fomapan 100 on their website, only the Classic version and I am still awaiting a reply to my email asking for clarification - perhaps their UK distributor has the answer? ;)

The 'net is awash with with posts about Fomapan film, some of which seem quite odd, but trying to make sense out of it all is like trying to plait fog! However, I still like the 5x4 stuff even though it has got the softest emulsion I have ever come across - and therein lies another story. There are numerous posts on the 'net about 'emulsion artefacts' a euphamism for damage, but whether sustained during production or in processing is open to debate.

A friend remarked on the difference in price between it and premium films and followed up with the remark that 'If you pay peanuts you can expect monkeys!' - perhaps there is an element of truth in that.