What's Gone Wrong Here

Ian-Barber

Admin
Staff member
Here is a negative I developed today but just trying to figure what has gone wrong.

Film: TMAX 400
Developer: PyrocatHD
Dev Time: 12 minutes with 2 agitations every minute in Paterson Tank @ 20°C

My theory is under-development but just throwing it out for other opinions

Last edited:

Alan9940

If you shot at box speed and used a dilution of 1:1:100, then, according to the MDC, your development time at 20C would be 15 mins. Plus, development technique is a personal thing, but when agitating once a minute I always agitate for 10 secs which, generally, works out to 4 inversions. It does looked under-developed, though...

Ian-Barber

Admin
Staff member
Maybe I was been a little sloppy here. I also made 2 other exposures on FomaPan 200 which I normally give 12 minutes in Pyro at 1:1:100 so I just added the Tmax in with them in the SP-445 thinking that 3 minutes may not have made much difference.

Looking tat the results, the reduced agitation and lower development times appear to have gone against me with the TMAX. The FomaPan ones have turned out as expected so maybe this is a lessen learned.

Ian Grant

I always shot Tmax 100 and 400 at half the box speed and 15minutes in Pyrocat HD 1+1 to 100 @ 20ºC. I think there's some under exposure as well as the under development there.

Ian

Ian-Barber

Admin
Staff member
having looked more closely on the light table, I can safely say under-development was a big issue.