What type of backpack do you use

Discussion in 'Talk About Anything Photography Related' started by martin henson, Apr 8, 2018.

1. martin henson

martin henson Admin Staff Member Registered User

I would be interested in what type of backpack you use for 4x5 and say two lens, film holders etc, I use an old lowpro one but looks like the backpack straps are coming loose and getting so I no longer can trust it.

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Active Member Registered User

Home Page:
    I have a Tenba bag bought for £20 at a camera fair in mint condition, it's a £180-£200 bag but it's quite large/heavy (when full). It holds my Wista, 5 or 6 lenses, 2 meters, a dozen dark-slides, filters etc and the tripod can be strapped to it as well. Before I bought it I just used a regular camping backpack for over 25 years.

When weight's an issue I use a regular sports backpack, two or three lenses, Wista or Super Graphic, 6 DDS, meter and 120 film, I've had my 6x17 camera and a TLR in it as well when I visited Olympia Greece (no tripods permitted). The 5x4 camera is wrapped in a small dark-cloth and I use small light weight lenses, while shooting the camera stays on the tripod (when permitted). It's nice to be able to work light weight.

Ian

3. Alan9940

Alan9940 Active Member Registered User

I have a Photobackpacker frame (basically, a Kelty P2) that I swap in/out camera outfits, as needed. One of my 5x4 cameras (fold-up wooden box style) is in a Pb camera case, along with a few lenses in a separate Pb lens case. My Arca-Swiss 5x4 and several lenses are all contained in an F-Stop ICU (large) that fits perfectly in the backpack. When I need/want the 10x8, empty the backpack and load with camera case, lens case, etc. All very modular and convenient; took me years to arrive at these configurations. Film holders--both 5x4 and 10x8--are carried in Pb accordion-style cases.

4. mpirie

mpirie Member Registered User

Large f64 Backpack for me.

It takes my Ebony 5x4, 5 lenses on boards, 9 DDS, darkcloth, meter, filters, notebook and foam mat.

Mike

5. Ian Grant

Home Page:
    Tenba no longer make a backpack similar to the one I use. The important factor is size which is usually measured in litres, I'd guess mine is 50l. What ever the backpack I prefer to have a couple of zipped pockets on the back or side for things like filters, spare cable releases etc.

For purely photographic use I don't really need larger than 50 litres, which is approx 60cmm (H), 40cm (W) and 20cm (D) I can get all my 5x4 kit in easily. I have used much larger regular backpacks when food, water, needs carrying as well

Ian

6. Neil t3

Neil t3 New Member Registered User

Gardener
    Home Page:
    If I'm going for a hike in the hill's and plan on shooting 5x4 I will be useing a Tamrac Expedition 5 .
    In that I'll have my Graphlex Crown Graphic with a 135mm lens attached and a couple of lenses extra .
    Either a 75mm or 90mm and probably a 150mm or 210mm , depending on what I'm planning on doing .
    I like the 135mm angle of view , so I might only have this lens with me .
    Film holders fit fine in the rear section , I'll have a few with Fomapan 200 in , some Rollei Infrared and maybe one with Kodak portra in .
    I also have in there a Bronica ETRSi with a couple of back's and an exrta lens .
    It also has a part that the tripod can be fasened too .
    I have a belt that has pouches on for filters , filter holder , water and a map etc , to keep some weight off my back .

I tend to know what I need before I set off so pack accordingly ( but still more than necessary and regret it five hours later !) as I might be out walking for up to seven to ten hours .

7. martin-f5

martin-f5 Active Member Registered User

Home Page:
    my chamonix 45 feels comfortable in the f-stop loka :)

8. David M

David M Active Member Registered User

I have a Lowepro that opens at the back. It seems to work quite well. Before that, I used a Tenba, but their range seems to have changed. The main criticism that I have of almost all the bags available is that the dividers, although adjustable, are designed on the assumption that I shall be packing a DSLR outfit. Consequently, sizes are often specified as, say: "One body with long zoom, one spare body, three extra lenses and a flash gun." What the LF photographer needs are accurate internal dimensions. Provision for carrying a tripod is always welcome, but sometimes this doesn't seem quite big enough.

9. Ian Grant

Home Page:
    David, it seems most companies have changed their ranges of backpacks in the way you describe. Tenba don't offer a backpack similar to mine any longer, I guess I use less than half of the velcro fit cross dividers, and only one of the vertical dividers.

Ian

10. David M

I recall, some time ago, seeing a divider system that had long narrow vertical pockets, all along each side of each divider strip, like Rufflette tape (or ammunition belts) that were held together by long metal pins, rather like sturdy hairpins. I think it was a prototype as I haven't seen anything of it since.

11. Ian Grant

Home Page:
    It's important to find a backpack that you feel comfortable with, that's more critical than it's inner workings. I was out 3 days running with my Tenba this last weekend and it was easy/comfortable fully loaded (full range of lenses, a lot of DDS).

Ian

12. David M

Running? I'm a devoted follower of the Weston Fifty-Yard Rule.

Joanna Carter and Ian-Barber like this.
  13. Joanna Carter

Joanna Carter Member Registered User

Consultant Software Engineer / Photographer
    Home Page:
    Amen to that brother :rolleyes:

14. Ian Grant

Home Page:

It's one rule I nearly always break, hence the need for a good backpack :D Fay Godwin always worked out of her Citroen, which was strewn with bits and pieces back seat and boot, and a small backpack.

Ian