What is your favorite lens and ........

Discussion in 'Talk About Large Format Gear' started by martin henson, Aug 18, 2016.

1. martin henson

martin henson Administrator Staff Member

What is your favourite lens and why, mine is the Rodenstock 90mm Grandagon-N, I use it more than the other two that's because I do mostly landscape, mine is quite large being a Copal 1, I got it from fleebay at a good price before they seemed to all rocket up in price, great coverage on 5x4 though,

The next and a close second most used is the good old 150mm another Rodenstock, small Copal 0, light and very sharp, the least used is the 210 Rodenstock another Copal 1.

If you had limitless amounts of money what's the dream lens you would buy, (if there is such a thing).

2. Mathieu Bauwens

Mathieu Bauwens Active Member

Home Page:
    My workhouse lens is a 180mm lens. Pictures form Laos are all done with this focal lens (see in B&W thread). 210 for portraits and 125 for portraits in situation and landscape.

I'm not at all attract by wide angle lens, those are too large for my eyes.

All my lenses are Fuji.

In 8x10, I use a 300mm most of the time, I just bought a 420 for portrait and I will try 210mm for coverage issues.

3. Stephen Batey

Stephen Batey Well-Known Member

None (retired)
    I have a very soft spot for my original 150mm f/5.6 Symmar - small and light, I can fold my camera with it attached. My current favourite would have to be the 210mm ApoSymmar which is a "natural" focal length for my landscape photography. It seems to give an added sparkle to the image - probably because of better lens coating. Its downside is that it's a good deal bigger and heavier (Copal 1).

I have 90mm and 300mm lenses (Super Angulon and Apo Ronnar respectively); like Mattieu I don't really "see" in wide angles, and make more use of longer lenses than short ones.

4. Stephen Batey

Stephen Batey Well-Known Member

None (retired)
    I just spotted that I hadn't answered the "dream lens" question. I'm not sure that I have a dream lens or lenses as such. I know that some lenses have an excellent reputation, and it would be interesting to see if the various Nikon and Fuji lenses are as good as their press; and (given that all save one of my lenses are Schneider and Rodenstock Sironar-N lenses have such a good reputation, it would be also interesting to see how they compared.

But I'm under no real illusions that my photography would be any better; I don't enlarge enough to see any differences in the print. My requirements for movements are modest, and I don't need the greater coverage of modern lenses. What I do prefer are small and light, which is why I have such a high regard for the Symmar 150mm - 49mm filter thread, smaller and lighter than any modern DSLR lens (and than an OM standard lens, come to that).

One of the aphorisms that I particularly like is Edward Steichen's "no photographer is as good as the simplest camera". I suppose my "dream lens" would be a mental one, that sharply focused my ideas for me.

5. Alan9940

Alan9940 Active Member

I guess the choices depend on what I'm doing...

If I'm packing longer distances with a 4x5, I opt for my little Nikkor-M's every time--200mm and 300mm. Toss in my 90mm Schneider Angulon and I've got all the focal lengths I need covered.

For 8x10, I really like my Fuji 360mm CM/W and my 240mm Fuji-A.

Don't know that I have a dream lens, but if money wasn't a concern I certainly wouldn't turn away a 360mm Fuji-A for the 8x10! :)

6. Jonathan Woods

Jonathan Woods Member

I'd have to say that my favourite lens is my latest purchase; a Schneider 120mm HM Super Symmar f/5.6. It really is a stunning lens and the perfect length, I find, for landscapes. My Nikkor 90mm f/4.5 is close behind though.

As for dream lens? I'm not sure I have one. The most expensive lens I own is the one above, and I'm quite happy with my lineup now :)

(Nikkor 65, 90, 150, 210, and the above Schneider)

7. Boilerbasher

Boilerbasher New Member

Home Page:
    I love my Schneider Super Angulon 58mm f5.6XL for 5x4 work, it is absolutely tack sharp and renders colours very nicely indeed. My dream lens is tricky but I think the 72mm version of the same lens would be nice to use on my 5x7 camera to get the same FOV with a nice big negative.

8. KenS

KenS Active Member

The lens that is mounted the 'most' on my monorail seems to be the 240mm Rodenstock Sironar for making 'landscapes' in our wide open spaces. the 150mm Rodenstock seems to take 'second place' unless I am making somewhat semi-close-up images... but by removing the rear group, I can increase the focal length (while 'losing' some f-stops) on the somewhat rare occasion when I cannot 'fill the frame' quite enough with the 240mm from a 'restricted' or a second choice position.. and I cannot get any closer. My 75mm seems to have become the least used since my retirement... but it has come in pretty handy for the occasional 'close-up/macro' use when I have not forgotten to pack the leather 'bag bellows'...

Ken

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  9. Richard Warom

Richard Warom Member

Retired
    My most used lens is a Nikkor 150 w which I've had a long time I don't think its the best of the Nikkor range but the one I could afford at the time I also take with me a 210 Geronor which is nice and light and a 75mm Tominon in a Polaroid shutter for close up, they are all light and suit me fine.
    For dream lenses I think would be the ones in my head because as I get older I don't focus so well especially close up which is not very convenient when trying to focus on a ground glass, I have found that magnified reading glasses help in this respect but then can't see anything else properly with them on so have to have my normal glasses hanging round my neck.

10. Monsta

Monsta New Member

My favourite is my 1858ish 12 inch f4 Lerebours Et Secretan lens. a wonderful lens for portraits on my 5x7 wet plates. There are even small bubbles in the glass as that was the best they could make then. My absolute dream would be a Dallmeyer 3A for 8x10 Portraits... waiting to find one at a not ridiculous price.

11. John Elder

John Elder Guest

For some time I have been glued to my 8 1/4" Goerz "gold rim" Dagor in it's original Rapax shutter. A standard lens for 5x7, it's a wonderful portrait lens on my 5x4 Wista - it also covers 10x8 at f45!
    However, I'm now enjoying the delights of a Som Berthiot Flor 165mm barrel mount lens. With a 4.5 max aperture, it's a joy compared to the 6.8 of the Dagor, even with the lens cap shutter.
    Aye, simple pleasures!