WetPlate Supplies Up For Sale

Ian-Barber

Admin
Staff member
Final tests are under way on pre-packed Pyrocat HD, I've enough chemicals to make 20-25 litres of stock. Price should (will) be under £20 for a kit to make 500ml stock or 50 litres of 1+1 to 100 working solution.

I'll mix anything if I have the chemistry, could do many litres of Sulphide Sepai toner :D

Ian

Good news Ian especially on the price. What about shipping costs ?

mpirie

"we are talking huge discrepancies instead of 1g - 1.6g"
That's interesting and worrying as i already have a couple of those well known US kits on standby.

It never occurred to me to weigh out the individual chemicals from the kit. It's a natural assumption that a chemical kit, provided on a commercial basis that is dependant on several accurately measured components, would be made up of the right parts in the right volumes!

The stale Phenidone was a known issue too, but my supplier was assured that the kits he was supplying were unaffected.

All of this adds to the appeal of making your own from scratch, though at under £20 for a 50 litre kit, Ian's offering may well be more cost-effective.

Mike

Ian-Barber

Admin
Staff member
I'm not sure yet about the postage /shipping costs.

Ian
You may get away with posting 100ml bottles through Royal Mail but anything larger than than could prove difficult unless a courier such as Hermes is used and then for 500ml bottles it would probably cost around £3.55 to use their service.

still

Hello all,
I sell PF's PHD and PMK here in the UK and was drawn to this thread by one of your members.

It was more than likely the PF kit sold by myself that had the over-weight chemicals that Ian G refers to above - a very good point raised as I had been using the chemicals without measuring them as well.
I have been in touch with Sandy King about the weight issue, giving him the weights of the chemicals of three kits I weighed myself.
All three kits weighed had more than the quoted weight on the instruction sheet, the more concerning examples were a Phenidone sachet having 1.46g (should be 1g) and Pot Bromide having 1.6g (should also be 1g). I too would have considered these an appreciable amount more but, Sandy's response was the 'difference in weights would not impact significantly the results very much, if any, in practical testing'.

I have a new batch of PHD kits, which PF have assured me have good quality Phenidone (though the weights may differ from that on the instruction sheet!). They also assured me that my original batch of PHD was good quality as well and I have received no reports of poor mixes. I have a sale on at the moment with many products including developers, fixers and toners reduced - https://www.stillphotographic.com/shop.

I hope this clears up some of the above concerns.

David

Ian Grant

You may get away with posting 100ml bottles through Royal Mail but anything larger than than could prove difficult unless a courier such as Hermes is used and then for 500ml bottles it would probably cost around £3.55 to use their service.
Tests are now nearly completed, essentially just making sure a dry kit will work OK after storage. There will be a single pack for Part A and another for Part B, so mixing is very simple and weights etc exact.

Essentially if I have the chemistry I'll mix any developer, toner, reducer etc. prices will be very competitive, £5 or £6 for a a typical Ferricyanide/Sulphide Sepia toner to make 1 litre.

Ian

mpirie

That's good news Ian.

WRT your pre-packed kits, how will you manage to ensure that all four constituents of part A will dissolve properly?

The first kit i had (from PF) didn't mix properly, though it performed as expected.

Mike

Ian Grant

That's good news Ian.

WRT your pre-packed kits, how will you manage to ensure that all four constituents of part A will dissolve properly?

The first kit i had (from PF) didn't mix properly, though it performed as expected.

Mike
Mike, that was part of what I was testing particularly as the Pyrocatchin is in flake form, but everything dissolves easily in warm water.

Ian

Ian Grant

I've mixed with Glycol in the past, it's not worth it in terms of economy as I've found it keeps well in water as long as the Metabisulphite is fresh. If I have enough Glycol I can check.

Ian

Ian-Barber

Admin
Staff member
I've mixed with Glycol in the past, it's not worth it in terms of economy as I've found it keeps well in water as long as the Metabisulphite is fresh. If I have enough Glycol I can check.

Ian
I bought some from Ian over a year ago now, which he mixed in water and it's still working just as good as the the day it was mixed albeit not much left now.