Wanted 4x5

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Swanky Pixels, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Hi Guys

Looking for my first Large Format camera, what you got.
    My budget is up to 1K
    Wanting to take landscapes and tilt shift portraits

Cheers pete

2. KenS

KenS Active Member Registered User

retired REGISTERED Bilogical Photographer
    Pete, might I inquire as to which 'type' of camera you are seeking...monorail or hand-holdable? I have an much experienced Crown Graphic 4x5 with lens and coupled rangefinder that seems to be interested in finding a new "home"

Ken

3. David M

David M Active Member Registered User

Consider the Intrepid as a good starter camera, light for landscapes, simple enough to learn – £250 for a 5x4 body, plus £200-£300 each for a couple of modest lenses and possibly lensboards for them. You'll also need a stable tripod, although you might already have one, dark slides, a meter, cable release, a loupe and a darkcloth. A small spirit level is handy. You'll need something to carry it all in. After that, you can indulge your taste for gadgets and luxuries.
    Most people seem to find that they need a little time with with the LF process before they can pick their ideal outfit. It's not the same as using other cameras.
    I'm not sure what tilt/shift portraits are. Perhaps someone else can give you advice.

4. Still researching Ken, there is a camera for about 3 hours from me this Sunday going to go and see if there is anything i like or at least get a feel for quality, weight etc of mono against field.

5. Hi David, thanks for your reply, I like the idea of supporting new companies, I see they do the bigger 8 x9 too, they look great in the adverts, but have seen some videos of people that bought them, and they had issues, or they looked a bit unstable, i am sure could be poor set, unstable tripod or beginners but put me off a little. I am still researching, but defo thinking to spend the money on a cheaper light tight box, which leaves me more money for great lenses. Will keep researching, hunting untill i find the right one for me.

6. David M

Good lenses are a sensible investment. Some photographers seem very keen on cameras with lovely woodgrain patterns, but I've never understood how this gets onto the negative. Many lenses are available in two versions, say f5.6 and f8.0. The faster lenses are often much heavier, (and expensive) which is worth bearing in mind if you propose to make landscape images more than fifty metres from the car. Check that the shutters are working.

7. Hi david, I managed to pick up a loveld Wista Field camera for a very good price at a camera fair, along with a Schneider Kreuznach Super Angulon f8 65mm and then bought a 210mm F5.6 ApoSymmar. Just waiting on my film delivery to arrive.

8. David M

Many fine images have been made with Wistas.
    Will you be filling the gap between 65mm and 210mm? Something like 150mm or 135mm? (65+210)÷2=137.5

9. Yes, but first want to hone my skills moving from medium format to large format. But yes will be looking for something nice around the 150/5.6

10. David M

It takes a little while to cultivate LF habits, but you'll do it. One thing I found was that you don't have to click the shutter, just because you've set up the camera.
    You will find you meet interesting, courteous people who ask about the camera. I've met some who knew more than me. I once had a long conversation with a boat-builder about the best woods. Children are delighted by the upside-down screen if their parents will lift them up. I've never had the legendary question: "How many pixels is that?"
    You might find that 65mm seems wider than you imagine in 5x4.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  11. Stephen Batey

Stephen Batey Well-Known Member Registered User

None (retired)
    Nor have I; but I have had one lady express surprise that the image on the screen was colour, rather than black and white...

12. David M

I only print black and white and the first time my wife peeped under the dark cloth, she emerged with an astonished squeak: "Ooh! It's IN COLOUR!"

13. KenS

Children are delighted by the upside-down screen if their parents will lift them up.

David re your; 'upside-down' statement'...must be s 'something NEW
    when I was first introduced to the observation of the image on the GG of large format camera...
    it was always "downside UP"

Ken :)

14. David M

I was going to make the usual remark about Australia, but Canada certainly has the top at the top.

15. KenS

I'll never regret leaving the UK with it space of 241 Km (squared) and population of about 50 million compared to Canada's 9 million Km (squared)and 35 million population and 'finding work' it did not matter which school you attended or your family's 'social standing' (or who you 'knew') I believe you are honestly 'judged' more by your capabilities and work ethic. I did not get my 'highers' but went on and graduated from Agricultural College in Ayr.
    before working as 'asst. Farm manager for a couple of years until I got fed up having more and more responsibilities and having to work harder and longer hours, for little $$ compensation> Eventually, I Managed to 'escape' by working my passage over here on a 'cattle boat' eventually getting work at a University as a technologist who had some experience in Visual communications and photography until I Got the photography job with agriculture Canada' research branch and a few years later passed the rigorous examinations for "Board Certification".

I would be hard pressed to even 'think' about re-turning to the UK. Here in Alberta, I got the chance to go to University to earn my part-time BFA after my forced early retirement and the Province payed the cost... since I was over 65..
    and graduated at the ripe old age of 73... I'll bet I could never have done that in the UK.
    It was more of 'answering the 'challenge' offered me by my PhD-type daughter I did not 'need it' but 'got it" and had the chance of 'opening the eyes' of my fellow class mates and a few of the faculty about 'real' photography as 'art' rather than just about the 'meaning' or the 'concept' having to be printed out... or 'explained' with the appropriate abiguous 'buzz words'. This old timer finished with a 3.4 (out of 4.0)' grading.

See me smile while feeling 'somewhat good'... without any 'blushing'.

Ken

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017