Trix 320

Discussion in 'Talk About Different Analog Films' started by martin henson, Aug 6, 2016.

1. martin henson

martin henson Administrator Staff Member

This is a film I really like, I normally develop it in Kodak Xtol 1 to 1, 12 mins at @20c or Diafine.

Any other members using it and what are your preferences for the type of developer for this film.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  2. Sal Santamaura

Sal Santamaura New Member

I agree -- 320TXP is a great film. When Kodak was on the verge of bankruptcy, before the motion picture industry agreed to keep Eastman's Rochester Building 38 coating line going by committing to future purchases, I selected 5x7 320TXP as my "doomsday" film. There are more than 2,000 sheets of it in our freezer.

Lately I've also been shooting a bit of 8x10 320TXP, contact printing resulting negatives on Ilford Multigrade Warmtone RC Pearl. A perfect exposure scale match. Especially when the paper is developed in Adox MCC Developer, then toned in Kodak Rapid Selenium Tone diluted 1+19 for two minutes at around 75 degrees F. Beautiful, neutral results, exactly to my liking.

Since 100ml of XTOL stock is necessary for every 80 square inches of film, and I recently lucked into two more New Old Stock (NOS) Jobo 3004 Expert Drums (now have three total), I've standardized on diluting 1 + 1.5, then developing at 45 rpm, after a five minute presoak, for exactly 7 minutes at 75 degrees F. This combination is optimum for using all chambers of the drum and dealing with ambient air and water temperature challenges you don't often face in the UK. :)

3. Alan9940

Alan9940 Active Member

8x10 Tri-X has been my primary film for a very long time. Xtol is a perfectly fine developer for this film, but I typically soup it in HC-110(B) and, nowadays, contact print on Adox Lupex paper. Give it a bit of RST, air dry, and you've got ya an absolutely gorgeous print! The only issue with this film today is the price--about $80US for a box of 10 sheets! Ouch!! I remember buying 50 sheet boxes for about $50US; or about $1US per sheet. Heck, can't even buy 4x5 for that price nowadays! But, I keep buying and using it. :)

4. martin henson

martin henson Administrator Staff Member

Well over here its £100 per 50 sheets, work that in dollars, double ouch :-(

5. Mathieu Bauwens

Mathieu Bauwens Active Member

Home Page:
    I used to use it, but the price is getting higher and higher every three months... I do use Bergger Pancro 400 now.

But it is a great film that I souped in Xtol or D76 1+1.