Trees

Stephen Batey

I honestly can't recall where this location was, although given the trees I'd be surprised if it weren't Scotland. The camera was probably a Wista DX 5x4, and if not, a 1960's monorail. The lens I can be certain of - a Schneider Symmar 150mm. I just converted/downsized this to the forum standard and converted to jpg. I was surprised at how noticeable the difference was to the original 16 bit tiff file - somehting I'll have to look into.

LF01-0028b1 Group of treesA2AdjustedLevelsSharpened.jpg

Last edited:

martin henson

Admin
Staff member
Nice image Stephen, like the feeling of depth, did you use any front Axis tilt to get DOF you have or was the lens just stopped down.

PS
The image might look a little different to on your computer because it is not colour managed in other words it has no embedded profile, should be sRGB !!

Stephen Batey

I've never taken notes at the time! I probably just stopped down to around f/16. The main subject was pretty much in a line, and the more distant trees suitably shadowed and indistinct.

I'll have to look into embedded profiles; as a black and white photographer I've generally avoided that sort of thing. The negative was scanned and editied in Photoshop CS2 to a tiff which was the starting point for this jpg reduction. I presume that now profile ever became attached to it.

martin henson

Admin
Staff member
Probably best to use PS save for web making sure in the dialogue box that sRGB box is ticked before resizing, that will embed the profile.

Stephen Batey

Thanks. I've never used "save for web" as I rarely post anything, preferring prints to publicity :)