Toyo vs Horseman

soupdragon

Popular Poster
Hello.
Anyone who has read some of my previous post will recall I have been having trouble getting in focus pictures with my Toyo 45A coupled with wide angle lenses.
Anyway, I bought a Horseman L45 as a test bed and to my astonishment all my lenses produce acceptably crisp images.
(My apologies for "Dissing" the Nikon SW 90 4.5)

My question is, what can possibly be causing my Toyo to be producing noticeably softer images?

I have a standard technique for using my cameras, tripod, cable release, loupe, dark cloth......................................

My only guess is the ground glass is not on the same plane as the film holder.
Is there any way of checking this or should I just buy another field camera?

It's in the thread where you posted about all the problems you were having with the camera.

You need a depth micrometer. A digital one is easier to read and they’re not expensive. This assumes that the ground surface of the screen is exposed and not buried inside a sandwich of components.

You need a depth micrometer. A digital one is easier to read and they’re not expensive. This assumes that the ground surface of the screen is exposed and not buried inside a sandwich of components.
Sadly it has a fresnel fitted.
I guess I could remove that and take measurements on the ground face of the glass.
Anyone know what the distance from the machined film back face to the ground face of the glass screen should be?
Metric or Imperial, I'm not fussed.

Back