Thornton Pickard Field Camera Restoration

Ian Grant

Now the camera has been repaired.

1625244394244.png

I cutout a section of a scrap 12"x10" Book form plate holder to make a new part.

1625244578482.png

1625244677235.png

Once in fitted replacing the bit at the front I realised the top edgewas too wide, so when corrected the front standard now sits at 90º to the bed with the struts set in the indents. The piece sed for the previous repair isn't wood seems to be some sort of plastic.

I still need to repair the TP shutter which is missing its speed indicatior parts, but I have rather a lot of shutters so that won't be an issue.

Ian

thronobulax

You will inevitably get gawkers watching you use this wonderful old camera. I dare you to tell the youngsters that the ground glass is an LCD display designed in the late 19th Century... I DARE you ;)

Ian Grant

You will inevitably get gawkers watching you use this wonderful old camera. I dare you to tell the youngsters that the ground glass is an LCD display designed in the late 19th Century... I DARE you ;)
The Ground Glass will be at least 2 stops brighter when I've attacked it :D and my nieces nearly 3 and 5 want to be shot with one of my older cameras. My oldest niece aged 6 could probaly build a camera, they do woodwork at school aged 4, she delivers lambs and tells her parents what to do which ewes will lamb next, but she is Icelandic.

Having used a Wistra 45DX for nearly 35 years I've heard all the comments :)

Joking apart so many early camears were Zone or guess focussing and olny the more professional r expensive had a GG screen.

Ian

Ian Grant

I added a really nice Sinclair collapsible lens hood :D

sinclair01sm.jpg

sinclair02sm.jpg

sinclair04sm.jpg

I wish they made them today, I do have more modern compendium hood but this is funkier :)

Ian

David M

That lens hood really looks the part.
May I ask what you used to restore the bellows? They now look almost new.

Ian Grant

I use a metallic black acrylic paint David, I work it into the bellows carefully, it actually looks like the riginal finish when dry.

Ian