Taking notes?

Discussion in 'Talk About Anything Photography Related' started by Isabel, Aug 23, 2016.

1. KenS

KenS Active Member

retired REGISTEREDbilogical Pho
    OOPS!!!! I forgot to provide the 'name' of the software... and I was 'too late' to edit my post. The freeware is "Vade Mecum" that was written and offered to any... and all photographers, by the late Robert(Bob) Wheeler.

Ken

2. Isabel

Isabel Active Member

@Ken: Thanks a lot...I will definitely look into this - hope they offer a version for Android. I am still trying different possibilities as my notebook did not work that well when the air was wet and windy :eek:
    Keep smiling!:):):)

3. Ian-Barber

Ian-Barber Administrator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Pocket Voice recorder

Isabel likes this.
  4. Keith Haithwaite

Keith Haithwaite Active Member

Do you have the link Ken? The ones I found don't work.

Late edit: Sorted it Ken, now I'll try and find my Palm Pilot to try it, hmm, wonder if it will still work after all these years though?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  5. Isabel

Isabel Active Member

Just installed Google Keep on my smartphone which should let me record audio and transcribe it into a note and I can include a smartphone picture with the note...I am also going to test an app for android called Exif4Film - has anyone tried those?

Oh and I also found apps called Bellows Factor and Reciprocity - guess what they tell you is self-explaining o_O:D

6. Graham Patterson

Graham Patterson Member

I tend to make more notes when I deviate from what I feel is normal (I need to change development, or I exposed with a particular effect in mind). One advantage of paper books is you can sketch where you took spot readings. Always nice to know where you went wrong, provided you learn from it. This is pretty essential if you are doing studio lighting.

I also make a point of writing on the film sleeve not just a reference number, but the basic details and the location. It is not as if there isn't any space on a 5x4 or larger sleeve. The best pens I have found for that are ones intended for overhead transparencies - something which will disappear soon, I expect.

7. KenS

KenS Active Member

Keith,

I still have the VadeMecum prc. file on my desktop (with the intention of dropping it onto a CD
    for posterity... or until i have it all committed to the memory bank between my ears). I can forward a copy of it to you should you feel you need a 'back up' copy. I might even 'forward' the file to my Mac's 2TB back up 'box', in case I 'screw up' (again).

Ken

8. Keith Haithwaite

Ken,

I managed to download the file and also made a backup copy but thanks for your offer although I may need some help loading it - see next sentence!. My problem now is - I can't remember where I put my Pilot! I obviously put it in a very safe place but as yet I haven't tracked it down!! If I can't even remember where I put the darned thing I don't hold out much hope of remembering how to use it.:confused:

9. KenS

KenS Active Member

Keith... you should have 'belled' it. :cool:

That's the 'memory' problem seems to become more common as we age. I'm in the fortunate position of having two Palm units... one with two AAA batteries... and one lithium... which I just found out a couple of days ago would not accept another 'charge'. I just ordered a 'new' battery yesterday... and I am now seeking info on 'safe' local disposal, since I am somewhat reluctant to 'just' throw it in with the household garbage.

Ken

10. Keith Haithwaite

I finally managed to unearth my old Palm IIIx and I when put some new batteries in it fired up no problem. To load on the Vade Mecum program I need a PC serial port for the Palm docking station which my laptop doesn't have but fortunately I keep an old desktop Win 7 PC in working order just for such emergencies. I had to find a new 64 bit version of the Palm PC software to get the Palm to Hot Sync with the PC but soon all was well and the Vade Mecum was duly loaded on to the Palm where it works a treat. There is some interesting stuff there which I am looking forward to exploring so thanks for the info again Ken.

11. KenS

KenS Active Member

Keith...
    Just think of the number of pencils you will no longer have to 'sharpen'.. or perhaps even 'lose' out in the field... thus the number of trees 'saved' from being made into replacement pencils. You will no longer 'curse' the holes made in you pockets thanks to the small knives now no longer required for sharpening in the field . Think of the number of small 'sheets' of paper being lost.. or turned into 'pocket fluff' in the washing machine. You are now a 'free' man... as long as you remember to keep that Palm 'charged'. :cool:

Ken

12. Alan9940

Alan9940 Active Member

Ken/Keith,

If I can find my Palm Pilot, I'd like to play around with that Vade Mecum app discussed in this thread. Is it possible to send to me via e-mail? Alan[dot]Huntley[at]cox[dot]net.

Thank you.

13. KenS

KenS Active Member

It will be 'on its way' shortly

Ken

14. KenS

KenS Active Member

Alan.
    The address as you provided gives me a message "that address does not seem to be a valid e-mail address, do you want to send it anyway?

I 'sent anyway'

Here's hoping...

Ken

15. Keith Haithwaite

:):):)

16. Alan9940

Alan9940 Active Member

Hmm, that's odd. I have had trouble with my ISP a few times over the years and, as of a few minutes ago I haven't received anything from you. Would you mind trying:

huntley.alanm@gmail.com

Thank you.