Taking a step back

Discussion in 'Say Hello & Introduce Yourself' started by Mark Walton, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Mark Walton

Mark Walton New Member Registered User

Hi all,
    A bit like Chris Nash, I am taking a step back from digital and returning to film. Have found it too easy to lose focus with digital and hoping that film will get me back to thinking more about composing my shots. Spent 27 of my youthful years growing up in South Africa and tinkered around in a darkroom from around 6 or 7 years old before returning to the UK around 1999.
    Started shooting 35mm on my old Praktica and also have a 120 ArgoFlex to tinker around with. Doing my own negative developing as it is a natural process to me. Again like Chris, have an Intrepid on order to get a feel for the 5x4 world.

Mark

ChrisR likes this.
  2. mono

mono Member Registered User

Welcome to the forum, Mark!

Mark Walton likes this.
  3. Alan9940

Alan9940 Active Member Registered User

Welcome to the forum, Mark. Ahh, sounds like you've "caught the bug" now! ;) I've been shooting LF since the late 1970's and sometime around 1980, I moved up from 5x4 to 10x8 and liked the larger format and contact printing so much I used nothing else for over a decade! I still do shoot other formats, occasionally, but now in my elder years I'm enjoying the Intrepid 10x8 very much. Once you get going with the 5x4, post a few images.

Mark Walton likes this.
  4. David M

David M Well-Known Member Registered User

Welcome.
    I like the idea of losing focus in digital. It's a nice paradox.
    We look forward to seeing some images. If you have any questions, please ask. The members here delight in offering help.

Mark Walton likes this.
  5. Chris Nash

Chris Nash New Member Registered User

Hello Mark
    I'm really glad I returned to film. I hardly touch my digital cameras now.

I hope you enjoy your Intrepid when it arrives. One piece of advice I would give is to give it a good look over. Mine had a few querks shall we say, manly relating to build quality.

Mark Walton likes this.
  6. David M

David M Well-Known Member Registered User

Yes, I second that. It's not a Gandolfi, so check it over. Despite any little niggles, it's still astonishing value. They are very co-operative in putting things right, if you need them.

Mark Walton likes this.
  7. KenS

KenS Active Member Registered User

retired REGISTERED Bilogical Photographer
    Don't throw the digital out.. use the files to make digital negatives on Pictorico film for printing using the "archaic" print processes

Ken

Mark Walton likes this.
  8. Mark Walton

Mark Walton New Member Registered User

Funny you say that Ken, spent most of yesterday playing around with cyanotype prints from both digital negatives and film negatives. Just need a consistent light source due to the frustrations of the lack of sun.
    I also like the idea of carbon printing but that will have to hold off till 2019 as I am off to Hong Kong in a few weeks and fingers crossed the intrepid will have arrived.

9. KenS

Mark,
    If you will provide your 'personal' e-mail address I believe I have the 'solution' to the problem. I have to admit that I have shared the files with a few folks

I have the "plans for building your own UV light source th Eepjohn had made available on his website for it that he was selling "well out" of my price range. Should you be interested you can have a copy (and save a LOT of your 'pocket money). You'll just have to get the ballasts and lamps to fit your 'power voltage'... I might suggest that you have a qualified electrician do the wiring 'hook-up'. I can get VDB, cyanotypes fully exposed in 20 to 30 minutes from negatives
    printed onto "Pictorico" a plastic sheet 'slighty frosted' on the one side to 'take the one side. go online to George
    L Smyth's web site and download "Creating the Digital Negative" which he has made available (at no charge).
    I provided that info to someone (janian)online a week or so ago and it is still 'available'. Print the file out and place it on the
    emulsion side. My negative take around 25 to 30 minutes using the colour about 6'blocks 'up' and 4 to the left of the bottom right-hand corner... I did not install the suggested fans.. leaving the ballasts 'open'.
    I'll forward some Q&D iphone images when I get the time later on today.

I also built my own printing frame that will take up to 16x20 inch.. or two 8x10's

Ken

PS should you have some 'pennies' left over you might also consider The UV light exposure meter I invested in earlier this year..... have a peek at the battery-powered PPM-2 'unit' at WWW.LightMeasure.com which can also be used in outdoors in the "Sunlight" .... it saves the exposure timeing 'screw-ups' nicely

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  10. Alan9940

+1

I have two quite lovely 5x7" pt/pd prints hanging in my home that I made from iPhone files!

11. Alan9940

Hi Ken,

Those wouldn't happen to be vacuum frames? If so, I'd love to get my hands on your plans.

Thanks!

12. KenS

Unfotunately... No

It was made of 'straight grain' Birch.... not from plans.. I could not 'find' any... so careful 'planning' 'cutting' and 'smoothing on my Freud work table .. followed by careful 'Extra-fine sandpaper' (by hand).

The 'springs are home-made laminated/glued "thin" wood.. clamped over a Carefully cut 3/4 inch plywood 'curve' that was cut with a router on a 'wire' to make sure it was 'part of a good circle

I had searched on-line for any available practical design and assistance... to of no avail... so a few hours of careful 'thinking/planning' before the final 'doing' payed off.

I have a "plastic coated' foam pad on which the coated paper and the 'springs' provide a good 'solid' contact with "plain-old' window glass (carefully) cut to size.
    I am going to have to drill a hole in the side through which I can put the cable to my UV Light-Measure
    sensor as the 'emulsion' 'receives the amount of UV radiation (see the battery-operated unit (PMM2) at www.LightMeasure. that saves me opening the unit up to check for 'darkening' from the the amount of UV radiation being 'received' by the negative for correct exposure... the danger doing it that way is that there may have been a very slight movement 'out' of registration after having opened to judge the 'density' of the exposed emulsion.

Go for it!!!!

Ken

Mark Walton likes this.
  13. Alan9940

OK, thanks, Ken. I was dreaming a bit there! ;)

Loved your build story! Reminds me of many, many years ago my wife bought me a router for Xmas. I was like, "What can I build with this?" Well...I needed a worktable to hold mat board, matting supplies, frames, glass, etc, a place to set on and work with my trimmer, a dry mount press, etc. So, I built an 82" wide work table with 4 ~16.75" wide drawers, stretchers with slats about 2/3 way down the legs (for storage) all out of White Birch ply and White Pine. Entire unit handmade with that router and a few other hand tools! That was about 35 years ago and it's sitting directly to my left as I type this message. It has been moved twice over about 2,200 miles total. Still functions as well today as the day I finished it. Been retired for about 4 years now and I keep thinking about building an 11x14" (or, maybe, 7x17") camera. That's the trouble now...too much time to think! ;)

14. KenS

Allan,
    Just out of curiosity I went back to EEpjon's (NOT 'eapjohn')web) site this morning and surprised that he will still ship his 'ready-to go" UV units to the UK, BUT....you'll have to have a good bank balance available.

I still 'enjoy' my OLD Woodie 8x10 (now and again) but the only lens that I can use (as of now) is my 240mm (as a wide angle lens)

Ken

15. Alan9940

Ken,

Yeah, I visited his site a couple years ago looking at his vacuum frames, and quickly decided that they were way out of my budget. ;) I can't imagine the cost to buy a UV unit and have it shipped across the pond. Film and associated paraphernalia is certainly still alive-and-well, but at what cost? For fact, nowadays I buy Fomapan 100 8x10 film from fotoimpex because even with the shipping it's significantly cheaper than buying from any source here in the states. I just wait until I need a few things, and then order to save on the shipping.

Hey, get out there with the 8x10 and enjoy all that it has to offer! My primary camera since the early 80's was an 8x10 Deardorff, but at my advancing age now it just got to be too much to carry very far. I got an Intrepid 8x10, via the Kickstarter campaign, and now use that; it weighs less than my 4x5! I now have two Fuji A-series lenses--240 and 360--and a Fuji C 450mm that I use with the Intrepid. All three very lightweight and compact lenses. At least, I can still hike with that outfit. :)

Alan