Sturminster Newton Mill

Carl Hall

This was the 8th sheet of film that I ever exposed, and I wanted to "play" around with the camera movements so that I could understand them better.

Sturminster Newton Mill is an old flour mill built on the river Stour in Dorset.

Arca Swiss Basic B with 150mm Rodenstock Sironar, Fomapan 100 (because it's cheap to learn on and is actually pretty good!) developed in Rodinal 1+50. Used as much swing as I could get away with without losing the corners.

Sturminster Newton Mill
by Carl Hall, on Flickr

Ian-Barber

Admin
Staff member
I really like the creamy look of the out of focus areas. Apart from swing, did you apply any other movements. With the Fomapan, do you find it curls much after its dried

Carl Hall

I really like the creamy look of the out of focus areas. Apart from swing, did you apply any other movements. With the Fomapan, do you find it curls much after its dried
Thank you Ian :) No the only movement was swing I think (I need to take more notes!). The Fomapan is fine for me, totally flat. I've heard it can be a curly nightmare for folks that shoot it in 35mm and 120, but in 5x4 it is perfectly flat.

Peter Lee

I would be interested so hear what you stopped the lens down to Carl.I love this image as it clearly demonstrates the reason people shot LF.keeping notes is vital I think so you can replicate the effect again and more importantly , learn from your mistakes/sucesses. I have a notepad that records the dark slide number (very important to ID dark slides that might have a leak), the film type/rated ASA/metering - low reading , high reading and EV difference ( important to determine exposure N,N-1 or N+1 etc /lens used /F Stop/Shutter speed/Notes eg like your movements.I like this image so much i would even print it

Carl Hall

I would be interested so hear what you stopped the lens down to Carl.I love this image as it clearly demonstrates the reason people shot LF.keeping notes is vital I think so you can replicate the effect again and more importantly , learn from your mistakes/sucesses. I have a notepad that records the dark slide number (very important to ID dark slides that might have a leak), the film type/rated ASA/metering - low reading , high reading and EV difference ( important to determine exposure N,N-1 or N+1 etc /lens used /F Stop/Shutter speed/Notes eg like your movements.I like this image so much i would even print it
I'm not sure what the aperture was for this one, it could be wide open at f/5.6 possibly, but I wouldn't be able to say as I didn't take notes :( Think I'm going to get a notepad and write everything down like you do. I've taken notes in the past but its usually just film type, shutter speed and aperture.

One of the main reasons that I wanted to get into shooting LF is because of all the effects that you can get from the movements. I'd love to print this one, but my enlarger only does 6x7 (and it's buried in the shed anyway!) so I'd have to digitally print the scan, which isn't the same!

Thanks for the comments :)