Studio Flash advice

Discussion in 'Talk About Anything Photography Related' started by YorkshireBloke, Apr 22, 2018.

1. YorkshireBloke

YorkshireBloke Member Registered User

Hi,

Yes, yes, I know, I am resisting the urge to buy gear. Honest.

But thing is two projects I have in mind NEED. Yes NEED a stiudio flash setup.

So any tips? Mistakes made? Help!? :eek:

Robert

2. Stephan

Stephan Member Registered User

IT System Engineer
    Home Page:
    I guess the answer lies in what you want to use it for. In my amateur studio I photograph small objects so absolute power isn't necessary. If I would shoot maco and need to use small f's the choice would be different.
    Need to shoot outside? Interiors?

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Active Member Registered User

Home Page:
    From your previous posts you indicated you needed quite a lot of light, I'd be looking for something like a Bowens Quad Pack and some heads, something more powerful than the average Monolight. Elinchrom kit is good as well. There are other makes that's just what I've used

Ideally you want at around 750J output or more per head, you can turn power down if needed. Shooting for a catalogue a few years ago I needed pack with two heads and two additional fill in heads, that was to shoot 3 models.

Luckily I have friends with commercial studios so can borrow flash kit when my own osn't powerful enough, I've also hired it which is not particularly expensive. Calumet is the best place for hiring equipment.

Ian

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Active Member Registered User

Home Page:
    This is the sort of kit I'm talking about. An Elinchrom 404 pack with two heads, you could add a third. Total power output is 4,000 Joules which can be through 1, 2 or 3 heads, and plenty of control over the output. I've borrowed and also hired these packs and heads.

In a small setting one person/model etc I can get away with using my two Elinchrom 250 flash units although I also use a Bowens Monolight 750, even with all 3 I've still only got up to 1250 Joules.

Ian