Streaky Colour Negatives

gnomus

I've just finished developing some colour negative film using the Tetenal Kit. The first time out with the kit everything worked quite well. Unfortunately, there has been a 6 week gap between that first roll and the latest one.

The negatives looked OK, superficially, but when I scan them I see long horizontal lines running virtually the whole way across the negative. A crop of one of the scans is attached (I've artificially boosted contrast to make the issue obvious, but it is readily apparent even at normal contrats levels.

This is Portra 160 120 film shot through a Bronica ETRSi. I've used this camera and film back before for B&W film without issue, so I don't think that anything is being scratched.

Any ideas what could be going on?

Streaks.jpg

gnomus

Panic over! I think I have got to the bottom of it. I had been cleaning my scanner glass with Baader 'Optical Wonder' fluid, using Kimwipes in long, careful strokes. As a result, I'd introduced nice long smears on the scanner glass. Circular strokes using Kimwipes and some Specsavers 'Lens Bright' removed the streaks and I no longer have these lines.

A lesson there. The worst part is that it was my wife who came up with the solution!

David M

Congratulations to your wife. I wonder if others have had this problem and failed to find the answer.

David M

Your wife sounds like a jewel among women.
...and I like the picture that she rescued from streaky oblivion.