Robert

Taken in subdued light back in November 2020. This is a crop from the original scan.

Attachments

• Stone Footbridge - Forest Walks.jpg
    Stone Footbridge - Forest Walks.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 57
A good composition and great shot. Thank you for sharing. Look forward to seeing more of your work sometime.

Some more details as requested: This little footbridge bridge is on the edge of the Ashdown Forest and an easy 15 minute tab from my house. This was the first outing with my new Intrepid 4x5 (Black Limited Edition) with a Schneider APO Symmar 120mm f5.6 lens. This lens is now my default, always in the rucksack, for landscape work. It is very sharp indeed and very versatile. My Pentax Digital Spotmeter measured the highlights on the tree trunk at EV 10, which was illuminated by low hazy sunlight coming through the trees behind the camera, and the shadows EV 5. The Ilford FP4+ was rated at 100 ISO and exposed at EV7 - f32 @ 13 Sec (allowing +7 sec for reciprocity failure). The negative was developed in Rodinal 1:50 for 12 mins at 20C (not 1:25 as stated in the tags above). I am waiting for some snow or possibly just some more water in the stream and a clear early afternoon sky to take this scene again before the winter is out!

Some more details as requested: This little footbridge bridge is on the edge of the Ashdown Forest and an easy 15 minute tab from my house. This was the first outing with my new Intrepid 4x5 (Black Limited Edition) with a Schneider APO Symmar 120mm f5.6 lens. This lens is now my default, always in the rucksack, for landscape work. It is very sharp indeed and very versatile. My Pentax Digital Spotmeter measured the highlights on the tree trunk at EV 10, which was illuminated by low hazy sunlight coming through the trees behind the camera, and the shadows EV 5. The Ilford FP4+ was rated at 100 ISO and exposed at EV7 - f32 @ 13 Sec (allowing +7 sec for reciprocity failure). The negative was developed in Rodinal 1:50 for 12 mins at 20C (not 1:25 as stated in the tags above). I am waiting for some snow or possibly just some more water in the stream and a clear early afternoon sky to take this scene again before the winter is out!

100% agreement on the APO Symmars. I have the 150mm f/5.6 and is so sharp you can shave with it ...

Unrelated And Of Interest: Something I just learned (it only took me 40 years to get it) - David Kachel makes a rather strong point that compensating for reciprocity is strictly a shadow phenomenon. The extra exposure will absolutely raise the highlights normally to the point where they get blown out. So Kachel's recommendaton is, When compensating for reciprocity, do N- development to keep the highlights within the overall scale.

That is very interesting. I wasn't aware of that. I have just had a close look at the negative with an loupe on the LED light tablet and there is enough detail in the highlights but it is close to the limit. I will do an N Zero/N -1 comparison next time. I haven't had any problems printing this one in the darkroom.

Back