Staithes

Alan Clark

Very nice. There's a good pub just to the left of your photograph - the "Cod and Lobster"....

Alan

Alan Clark

There used to be a guitar hanging on the wall in the Cod and Lobster. It was built by the local doctor, who had an interest in making musical instruments. He hung it there for anyone to play. One day a man came into the pub very drunk. He grabbed the guitar, ran outside with it, threw it on the ground and jumped on it. Then he produced a gun and shot it three times. This story is perfectly true. It was told to me by the doctor, when I visited him in his workshop. He showed me the guitar, which he was repairing so it could be returned to the wall of the pub. He had been asked to patch it up but "leave the bullet-holes as a talking point".
Some time later the doctor died, and I've not been back to Staithes since, so I don't know if he finished the repair...

Alan

martin-f5

nice story.
We haven't been to the pub, I ran out of films and had to return the the other day.
My favorite subject was the slipway it self and I made several photographs of it.
Years later I had the chance to print it together with John Blakemore at a workshop he run in Nottingham.staithes.jpeg

Reactions: Diz