Sail Lofts at Tollesbury, Essex

Scanned yes, but not particularly sharpened. It is, however, a low resolution image, having lost the original scan.

A lot of the contrast is down to the very bright, clear sunlight on the day.

Helen,

This image reveals exquisite handling of the high values and beautiful tonality throughout! I love these types of images where the whites just sing!! Nice job.

Nicely seen Helen, very moody lighting as well which really makes the image so much stronger.

Ian

The variations on only two forms makes this interesting. There's the pentagonal fronts of the buildings, each slightly different, and the multiple ladders and steps, each different again.
Alan likes the handling of the sunlit white paint and so do I.
But there's another thing that interests me. I'm seeing the sunlit white in the image against the white of the web page. There's no doubt that the web page is objectively brighter, but nevertheless, the sunlit buildings seem brighter. It's is very curious, isn't it, that our perception works this way?

Thank you folks. Following Martin's comment about sharpening I searched out the negative from my chaotic photo archives, must sort those out one day but doing that is not nearly so much fun as making pictures, anyway the negative is beautifully sharp with good contrast. One of those instances where I apparently got everything spot on, so although we can't remember what degree of sharpening was used for the computer image I am pretty sure the sharpening was only modest. A bit of tech info for those that like to know. Film Acros 100, f32 @ 1sec, Orange filter.

The reason I mentioned it was as soon as I looked at it that was my first reaction as it looks a little too much digitized in the edit, of course, that's my personal opinion and not a criticism Helen. Some really nice lines, shadows and well-controlled high contrast.

Regards
Martin

Helen, as this is a LF forum, a bit of swing somewhere, perhaps? I realised your memory might have better things to do than satisfy my idle curiosity.

Thats Ok Martin. Possibly the real problem is trying to judge an image on screen rather than as a print. I am not at all technology savvy, but I guess there must be considerable variations in the way we all have our screens set up which must make a difference to how the image looks at the viewers end. I much prefer to see a paper print but as we are scattered all over the place then on screen it has to be.

Hi David, no swing, I don't think I have ever used swing, but I did put on a minute bit of front tilt to maximise depth of field.

I can't see where front tilt would help with a vertical subject receding laterally (swing, yes, maybe rise). But you were there, and the result speaks for itself!

Yes, but ya gotta admire the fact that some front tilt was used and, yet, the front facades of each building are tact sharp from bottom-to-top! That's sometimes hard to do.

Back