Rose Experiment - KodaLith Ortho

Discussion in 'Black And White' started by Ian-Barber, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Ian-Barber

Ian-Barber Admin Staff Member Registered User

Home Page:
    Recently, I was given a box of darkroom ruminants. The box smells quite fusty so I am guessing its not been stored very well. Inside was a box of KodaLith Ortho Film expiry 1986. The first few sheets showed tell tale signs of mould on the emulsion but as I got further into the pack, they were not quite as bad.

I loaded a sheet into the 4x5 holder and made a 6 second exposure of these roses. The film was then tray developed under safelight and I snatched it out after 90 seconds keeping an eye on the highlights as they came up in the developer.

This is a straight scan using VueScan.

Rose_KodaLith.jpg
    Rose_KodaLith.jpg

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    roncromberge likes this.
  2. JimW

JimW Member Registered User

Nice one!

3. David M

David M Well-Known Member Registered User

Well done.
    I realise this is a technical test but if I may make an aesthetic comment, the pattern on the vase is very intrusive. Has its contrast been increased by the orthochromatic film?

4. Ian-Barber

Home Page:
    I know very little about this film apart from it was designed for graphic arts, stencil drawings etc so I am guessing that by default, its going to be pretty contrasty.

5. Alan9940

Alan9940 Active Member Registered User

Also, regarding the contrast, ortho film can display various levels of contrast depending on the available light at the time of shooting. I faced this often when playing around with x-ray film.

6. Ian-Barber

Home Page:
    I tried another sheet of this film, this time with weaker developer

Apples_KodaLith.jpg

ChrisR likes this.
  7. David M

That has a fine, alternative process look to it. Will you be be doing more in the same style?
    There seems to be a shadow around the edge, following the shape of the holder, that I don't understand. Reflection from the edge would create a lighter area. It was on the first one, too.

8. Ian-Barber

Home Page:
    Yea I noticed on the other one also, not sure where its coming from, the only thing I can think of is that its happening during the tray process, maybe my agitation is not correct.

9. David M

It's hard to see how processing would produce a mark that follows the contours of the film holder. It looks like a shadow cast from each side. Is it possible that there's a very small light leak caused by the film holder not sitting perfectly in the back of the camera, or the back itself not sitting perfectly on the camera? Both seem unlikely, but the only thing I can think of. Everything else seems fine and very pleasant.

10. Ian-Barber

Home Page:
    I looked more closely at this last night. Not sure if you are familiar with this type of film but its thickness is probably 50% less than conventional film so I am thinking is the gap between the film and the holder.

11. Alan Clark

Alan Clark Member Registered User

Ian, I am very taken with this second photograph. I think it's one of the best things you have put on here. Can you give us some details? How did you achieve the very nice colour? What lens did you use to take it? Talk us through it!

Alan

12. Ian-Barber

Home Page:
    For the lens I used a Zeiss Anastigmat lens using both front at Rear cells which from memory gave me a focal length of around 220mm and I set the aperture around f/11. I say around because the closest marking on the lens was f/12.5.

Ross-lens-1.jpg

The subject was in the conservatory with very even lighting so I just took an incident reading which gave me 8 seconds based on an ISO value for the film of ISO 3. I never bothered about any reciprocity but did add a little more exposure for the bellows extension about 4 seconds more.

The film was then developed under red safelight in Ilford MG developer diluted to 1+20 for 2 minutes.
    After it had dried, it was scanned on the Epson V800, imported into Photoshop where I added the colour. No other adjustments were made.

13. Alan Clark

Thanks Ian.

Alan

14. Alan Clark

Interesting looking lens. I've got a couple of brass barrel lenses, focal length 8 inches. One is a Beck symmetrical, the other nameless. They cost next to nothing. I think I paid £12 for them and the price included a beat-up old half-frame field camera. No name, beautiful mahogany, and brass. Bellows hanging off. I made a new bellows, fixed the camera up, and altered the back to take modern 5 x 7 filmholders.
    I found the lenses prone to flare when used outside in sunny conditions. But your photo has got me thinking about doing some still-life work. Less flare in soft indoor light, maybe.

Alan