Rose Digital Negative Darkroom Print

Ian-Barber

Admin
After some testing, I finally managed to achieve a workable darkroom step wedge from which I could create a correction curve in Photoshop for printing on some new brand of Negative inkjet film I have been testing.

Looking at the darkroom printed step wedge, I think I am about 1/3 of a stop in reaching Max Black so may need to slightly tweak the exposure time under the enlarger.

Darkroom Print From Digital Negative on Ilford MG Pearl

Digital Negative Printed from Epson Printer On Inkjet Negative Film

I’m surprised no one has bothered to comment on Ian’s picture, the work that goes in to getting the curve is beyond my skills and Ian seems to do it so well, really good image mr B

Martin,
I suspect that the lack of comment is because we share your own confessed level of skill in this matter. Ian is working well above my personal Sunday School level of competence, so I have nothing useful to say.
I'm afraid I still adjust my images directly screen and in a previous life, on the baseboard. A good deal of "tweaking."
Nevertheless, I do join you in commending the effort.

Sometimes we have to forget the level of skill and judge a picture on its merits, if Ian had not mentioned its was from a digital negative, would you have commented then, I am not trying to be awkward old sod, just making a point.

Well, I'm inclined to agree. It's a picture of a flower when all is said and done. On my screen I can't see that it's a darkroom print made from a digital negative created in Photoshop using special, personally derived curves.
I now wonder what a print made directly would have looked like. Would it have been better? Or different?
Without the methodology, I might not have commented at all. I had thought that the methodology was your reason for posting. Otherwise, it's a decent picture of a flower in a vase, but not, in my view, an outstanding one. I'd have been more inclined to comment on the out-of-focus area.

Awkward old sods make the world go round.

Back